Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone,

My 20 year old crock pot recently died. Actually, it didn't die, but the lid fell and cracked into a million pieces. And well, then it was useless. I've been casually looking for a new one, but haven't purchased one yet.  We are a family of 4, so I think I need a 5qt? (I think this is what my last one was). I want something basic. I don't need any fancy timers or other functions I won't use. My last one had the stoneware inner piece and was a very standard issue crockpot. 

Any recommendations? I've seen them as low in price as $20 (Target) and over $150 other places. For my basic requirements I'd probably like to spend no more than $60. 

Anyone? 

TIA Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Measure the diameter of the old one..........then go and buy a glass lid at a thrift store............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have a Crockpot brand one from Walmart at my camper, Basic and works perfectly. 5 qt. At home I have a Hamilton Beach that has all the bells and whistles and timers and I rarely use them. I got the Walmart one for $25.

Honored Contributor

I purchased my very first crockpot last week from BedBath&Beyond...

Crock-Pot® 6.5-Quart Slow Cooker with eLume™ Touchscreen

Price:  $79.99 less 20% discount = $63.99

10119416313017p.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

I had my Crockpot for about 35 years. It finally stopped heating up at all. I went to Kohls and got a basic Crockpot for about 35 dollars. I did get the larger one. I'm happy with it, don't need all the bells and whistles either.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for the replies and recommendationsSmiley Happy

I never thiught of just replacing the lid---dang it! Already went into the trash.:/

Honored Contributor

@Frau K wrote:

don't need all the bells and whistles either.

Out of curiosity what are all the bells & whistles that crockpot have? 

The one I recently purchased automatically "warms" for 6 hrs after "cooking."  Is that a bell or whistle? do tell

Crockpot newbie....

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I think some models have "delayed start", temperature probes and locking lids (for transporting).

Others (like my Ninja 3 in 1 and before that my Wolfgang Puck Versacooker) have nonstick aluminum pots and settings so you can brown/saute before switching to slow cooker, and can also be used as an oven.

Once I had the WP, I never used my original Rival stoneware crockpot, except at holiday time.   

Denise
Super Contributor

Mine is not digital. It has a high or low or off manual control.

Respected Contributor

I have a Rival that scorched whatever I tried to cook in it, even on the lowest setting, so it's out in the garage now.  I bought a Hamilton Beach 6 qt oval & am quite happy with it. I don't remember what I paid for it, but probably about $50-$60.