Honored Contributor

Would someone please explain air frying to me?

Is there fat involved?  Does it mist around the food? Or is this convection cooking? I never paid attention when these first came out and now the presentations don't explain what's going on. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Would someone please explain air frying to me?

I dont know but those machines are huge.   They'd occupy a lot of real estate in a kitchen.   Evine is surely pushing them but I don't have room for it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass I have the original, smaller model from Evine and just love it and if I hadn't purchased it just a couple of months ago I would have gone for their TS today.

I love that appliance.  I have made everything from toast to tons of different proteins and my favorite chicken wings.  You mist your food with a bit of oil before you place it in the fryer and that's it.  Actually depending on what I am cooking, most times I don't even use oil and you'll be surprised to see the amount of oil that cooks out during the cooking process.

Think of it as a small, compact convection oven.  The hot air is constantly moving and circulating around your food so it cooks much faster.  A shake or two during the cooking process (or if you are cooking a protein you will need to flip it midway) and you have some well prepared and tasty food.

I love mine and if my finances allow, I would love to upgrade to the larger one in time for Thanksgiving so I can make a small turkey breast in there!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so old school when it comes to french fries. 

I make my own right down to peeling potatoes, cutting them up, throwing them in the basket & putting basket into hot grease (oil).

Hot air cooking, I save for my popcorn w/extra butter & salt.  Nothing else.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

It's not really complicated.  It is somewhat similar to convection cooking in the fact that the air circulates and cooks the food without oil or grease.  So you get crispy outside and moist inside, less all the mess of oil.  I went out on a limb and bought one.  The outside is rather large taking up some space but the basket inside is rather small in comparison.  I have the Emeril one.  I love french fries but not all the hassle of making them from scratch.  I tried frozen in a deep fryer but hated all the grease and mess.  The air fryer gives crispy outside, moist inside.  I use mine a lot.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."