Trusted Contributor

I enjoy a good glass of wine and also enjoy finding decent wines at a decent price. A lot of people don't know that you can get a pretty good everyday wine at your local grocery store for $5 or so. I usually buy corked wines, but I'm not too snobby to unscrew a cap if the wine inside is good. In whites, I like dry, crisp wines and most often choose a Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay. In reds, I tend to gravitate to a Shiraz or a Pinot Noir. I also like a good Zinfandel, a Chianti, or a Cabernet on occasion.

I can almost find Barefoot Pinot Noir on sale, and it is very nice, as are some of their other varieties. There's also a label called Flip-Flop which isn't bad.....and makes me feel beachy.

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/30/2014 kahootz said:

Even though it's summertime, I'm just not into white wine. Just a little too sweet for me. If you like Cabernet Sauvignon however and live near a Costco, they have an outstanding one that I think sells for around $14.99 a bottle. It's the Rutherford Ranch from Napa Valley. For the price I'm quite impressed! Very, very nice wine. Smiley Happy

Hi Kahootz!

Maryland's grocery stores, including Costco. That really bites, especially coming from Los Angeles where wine was sold in 7-11.

DH bought me a bottle of Rutherford chardonnay! I wonder if it's the same vineyard? If I remember correctly, it was close to $50 and it was nice.

Curious, what does the season have to do with the wine?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I am a wine lover but not a wine snob. I actually prefer the wines made in northern Pa and west NY along Lake Erie. Taylor makes my absolute favorite white wine - Taylor Lake Country White. I am lately becoming a fan of Turning Leaf wines as well.

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/30/2014 GoodStuff said:

I enjoy a good glass of wine and also enjoy finding decent wines at a decent price. A lot of people don't know that you can get a pretty good everyday wine at your local grocery store for $5 or so. I usually buy corked wines, but I'm not too snobby to unscrew a cap if the wine inside is good. In whites, I like dry, crisp wines and most often choose a Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay. In reds, I tend to gravitate to a Shiraz or a Pinot Noir. I also like a good Zinfandel, a Chianti, or a Cabernet on occasion.

I can almost find Barefoot Pinot Noir on sale, and it is very nice, as are some of their other varieties. There's also a label called Flip-Flop which isn't bad.....and makes me feel beachy.

Hey GoodStuff! You're absolutely right; you can find a lovely wine for a five dollar bill. I'm drinking one right now!

I sometimes get my wine from a big box called Total Wines. Because I buy the same wines all the time, I gave myself a New Year's challenge:

It has to be a wine I have never tried before;

It has to be under $10;

No screw caps; and

It has to be a chardonnay.

I am up to the "Cs."

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/30/2014 happy housewife said:

I am a wine lover but not a wine snob. I actually prefer the wines made in northern Pa and west NY along Lake Erie. Taylor makes my absolute favorite white wine - Taylor Lake Country White. I am lately becoming a fan of Turning Leaf wines as well.

Hi Happy! Are those wines local to you?

Super Contributor
On 6/30/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 6/30/2014 kahootz said:

Even though it's summertime, I'm just not into white wine. Just a little too sweet for me. If you like Cabernet Sauvignon however and live near a Costco, they have an outstanding one that I think sells for around $14.99 a bottle. It's the Rutherford Ranch from Napa Valley. For the price I'm quite impressed! Very, very nice wine. Smiley Happy

Hi Kahootz!

Maryland's grocery stores, including Costco. That really bites, especially coming from Los Angeles where wine was sold in 7-11.

DH bought me a bottle of Rutherford chardonnay! I wonder if it's the same vineyard? If I remember correctly, it was close to $50 and it was nice.

Curious, what does the season have to do with the wine?

Many people pare foods with wine and it seems that during the summer we eat lighter and many want a white wine to go with chicken, salad, etc. If you go into the wine stores or even Trader Joes in the summertime they seem to push the Chardonnays and Pinots because they are cool and refreshing. That's what I was referring to.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not good with pairing. It's very complex. I only do it when I take a class or when a waiter recommends something at a restaurant.

Left to my own devices, I will drink a merlot with salmon or a chard with beef stew! Not because I don't know what I'm doing, but because I drink what I enjoy.

Super Contributor
On 7/1/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I'm not good with pairing. It's very complex. I only do it when I take a class or when a waiter recommends something at a restaurant.

Left to my own devices, I will drink a merlot with salmon or a chard with beef stew! Not because I don't know what I'm doing, but because I drink what I enjoy.

Me too! I just enjoy the taste of rich red wines, especially Cabernet Sauvignon. Cheers!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Kahootz yes! This! Wine is so much more enjoyable when you enjoy what's around it!

Pairing is awesome and takes wine and food to another level, but you have to know what you're doing. That takes a lot of work, effort and education. And the more I learn about wine, the less I know.

New Contributor
There are wine clubs in md - black ankle and orchid winery's for some.
On 6/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 6/29/2014 ambermoon said: My favorite wine is from Navarro Vineyards which is near Mendocino Ca. It's a small winery and most of their wine is sold on site or through their wine club. I belong to their club and get shipments twice a year. Right now during warm weather we're enjoying a glass of chilled sparkling wine in the evening. That brand is Korbel.

Hi Ambermoon! I've had Korbel champagne before. Is that similar to the sparkling wine?

When I lived in LA, I belonged to a wine club. I don't have that luxury in MD.