Esteemed Contributor
On 6/29/2014 jackthebear said:

Sitting on my deck enjoying the June evening with a glass of Cavit Pinot Grigio

not a chard fan at all, in fact I sent back a glass of "pinot grigio" that I swore was a Chardnonnay.

I like Reislings, Pinots- Grigio, Noir, Gerwurtztraminer

take that Fitbit!

Hi Jack! It sounds like you like that sweeter grapes. I'm just the opposite; I like creamy chards and chenin blancs (vouvrays).

I haven't tasted the Cavit yet. I just saw a commercial for them a few days ago.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor
On 6/29/2014 Mary Bailey said:
On 6/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 6/29/2014 Mary Bailey said:

lol! that's where I stopped too

I hope you like my suggestions. I like bold, not light wines.

Mary, where were your suggestions?

in #5 . .the French reds: Revelation 2012 (cabernet-merlot), Sainte-Croix 2011 (syrah-merlot), and Pontificis (Grenache,Syrah,Mourvedre)

I'm sorry! I mixed up your post with the one below it with the link for the article.

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/29/2014 jackthebear said:
On 6/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 6/29/2014 jlkz said: Went from the Chardonnays to Pinot Grigio now ( it's dryer and pairs well with most foods ). The labels we love: Ecco Domani, Cupcake and Sasso. All are reasonably priced PA state store brands and go on sale fairly regularly. With Cupcake, even the reds are very good. H T H

Hi jikz! Have you tried Cupcake Angel Food Cake wine? That's a nice one.

I took a wine pairing class at a restaurant a few years ago. It was well worth it!

I've seen the Cupcake wines at the the store but the name seems so silly that I have avoided them, will check it out

Hey, I was drinking Little Penguin yesterday!

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/29/2014 ambermoon said: Hi HoneyBrown! Yes, Korbel's is champagne. I knew once in California that champagnes had to be called sparkling as only wines made in the Champagne Region of France could be called champagne. But I just checked a bottle and it's labeled California Champagne. I know two other wineries in the area however are still calling their's sparkling wine. It's still good, whatever it's called! Too bad about what sounds like shipping restrictions in your state.

I'm not a big champagne drinker, but I knew that about the naming. I didn't realize that California finally changed to "California Champagne!" Try pairing your champagne with Parmesan cheese. The bubbles make the cheese smooth and creamy.

The shipping restrictions are bad, especially because Maryland wineries are horrendous! I'm not saying that because they don't agree with my tastebuds. Every single winery that I've visited had something wrong with it. The last one had carbon dioxide (bubbles) in the bottles, which means the fermentation wasn't done correctly.

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/29/2014 sunshine45 said:

i am more of a white wine drinker.....love chardonnays, moscatos, rieslings in particular.

my two go-tos are kendall jackson vintners reserve AND sonoma cutrer russian river chardonnays.

Hi Sunshine! Russian River wines are great. I haven't had them in a while.

Super Contributor
HonnyBrown, I will try some Parmesan with the wine, sounds good! Good luck wine hunting, and tasting. Wanted to add that I think Viognier is a nice dry white wine, if you should get an opportunity to try it.
Super Contributor
On 6/30/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 6/29/2014 ambermoon said: Hi HoneyBrown! Yes, Korbel's is champagne. I knew once in California that champagnes had to be called sparkling as only wines made in the Champagne Region of France could be called champagne. But I just checked a bottle and it's labeled California Champagne. I know two other wineries in the area however are still calling their's sparkling wine. It's still good, whatever it's called! Too bad about what sounds like shipping restrictions in your state.

I'm not a big champagne drinker, but I knew that about the naming. I didn't realize that California finally changed to "California Champagne!"

They didn't, actually. "If you wish to try and read the legalese surrounding the ability to use the term “champagne”, check out the U.S. Code found here: U.S. Code TITLE 26, subtitle E, CHAPTER 51, Subchapter F, PART III, § 5388."

"Basically this document states that a “Semi-generic” designation can be used to designate wines not from the original Champagne region as long as the name of the originating region (in this case California) is added to the label.

"This exception alone does not allow all wineries to use the champagne designation. The legal protection for the designation came from the Treaty of Versailles which was enacted in June of 1919 after the first World War and has been accepted by many countries worldwide. Many of those countries have signed agreements with the EU that limit the use of the term “champagne” to only those products produced in the Champagne region. The United States acknowledges the exclusive nature of the “champagne” term and bans the use from all new US produced wines. Only those wineries which had approval to use the term on labels before 2006 may continue to use it and only when it is accompanied by the wine’s actual origin, as in California."

Super Contributor

Even though it's summertime, I'm just not into white wine. Just a little too sweet for me. If you like Cabernet Sauvignon however and live near a Costco, they have an outstanding one that I think sells for around $14.99 a bottle. It's the Rutherford Ranch from Napa Valley. For the price I'm quite impressed! Very, very nice wine. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/30/2014 ambermoon said: HonnyBrown, I will try some Parmesan with the wine, sounds good! Good luck wine hunting, and tasting. Wanted to add that I think Viognier is a nice dry white wine, if you should get an opportunity to try it.

Thanks for the recommendation! I tried several Viogners a few years ago, but I didn't find one that hit the spot. They were always too oaky or dry or crisp.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks ennui! I stand corrected!