Esteemed Contributor
On 6/29/2014 Campion said:

I wish I weren't in the two states that make you buy state liquor. No selection.

I love Chilean wine. I was in Chile and the Chilean sauvignon blanc is better than Australian and maybe even better than New Zealand sauv (Tohu is very good.) Got back from a tour in Nov may go to Argentina on one in a few years.

I also like Spanish wine like Tempranillo and Sangre de Toro.

I lived in Germany and France and we used to go on wine tours. I learned a lot about the wines of Bourgogne (Burgundy) and Rhine as well as Moselle region, and even Bordeaux but we were Rhine and Burgundy experts. These wines do not come to the US--we get bottom of the barrel.

When I worked for a California firm that sold equipment to wine researchers, we did a tour of Sonoma and I got to like Pinots there but again, out here good luck finding the really good ones and they are pricier.

Having said that, I drink one glass or max two at dinner once a week. It's calorific! By the way, we had an annual company banquet last night and the servers at the hotel complete skipped our table. No wine. No water. No coffee. And they put nuts on ever plate of mine and I'm highly allergic. I got nothing to eat and wheezed from breathing it all evening after they carefully took notes when we registered, on allergies. Great staff. : (

Hi Campion!

Chilean wine is awesome! I've only gotten to explore some reds so far.

I went on a wine tour when I was in Italy, but it was before I had a palette. I would love to go again now that I know about wine.

I didn't know that Pinots were grown in Sonoma! I thought they were grown near Los Olivios. I used to travel to Santa Maria from LA. I enjoyed my pit stops.

I'm surprised no one called attention to the staff during your banquet.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor
On 6/29/2014 Mary Bailey said:

lol! that's where I stopped too

I hope you like my suggestions. I like bold, not light wines.

Mary, where were your suggestions?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor
On 6/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 6/29/2014 jlkz said: Went from the Chardonnays to Pinot Grigio now ( it's dryer and pairs well with most foods ). The labels we love: Ecco Domani, Cupcake and Sasso. All are reasonably priced PA state store brands and go on sale fairly regularly. With Cupcake, even the reds are very good. H T H

Hi jikz! Have you tried Cupcake Angel Food Cake wine? That's a nice one.

I took a wine pairing class at a restaurant a few years ago. It was well worth it!

Cupcake Angel Food Cake just sounds yummy!
But it's wine - not vodka.

My favorite is pinot noir - I loved the movie, Sideways, even though I don't understand wine.

Honored Contributor

Sitting on my deck enjoying the June evening with a glass of Cavit Pinot Grigio

not a chard fan at all, in fact I sent back a glass of "pinot grigio" that I swore was a Chardnonnay.

I like Reislings, Pinots- Grigio, Noir, Gerwurtztraminer

take that Fitbit!

Super Contributor
sueinsf, I like their Sauvignon Blanc also but I think all Navarro's wines are outstanding. It sounds like you lean towards dry wines also. If you get a chance to try it, their White Muscat is really good. Nice to meet a fellow Navarro fan!
Esteemed Contributor

I hope you like my suggestions. I like bold, not light wines.

Mary, where were your suggestions?

in #5 . .the French reds: Revelation 2012 (cabernet-merlot), Sainte-Croix 2011 (syrah-merlot), and Pontificis (Grenache,Syrah,Mourvedre)

Honored Contributor
On 6/29/2014 jlkz said: Went from the Chardonnays to Pinot Grigio now ( it's dryer and pairs well with most foods ). The labels we love: Ecco Domani, Cupcake and Sasso. All are reasonably priced PA state store brands and go on sale fairly regularly. With Cupcake, even the reds are very good. H T H

Hi jikz! Have you tried Cupcake Angel Food Cake wine? That's a nice one.

I took a wine pairing class at a restaurant a few years ago. It was well worth it!

I've seen the Cupcake wines at the the store but the name seems so silly that I have avoided them, will check it out

Honored Contributor

i am more of a white wine drinker.....love chardonnays, moscatos, rieslings in particular.

my two go-tos are kendall jackson vintners reserve AND sonoma cutrer russian river chardonnays.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor
Hi HoneyBrown! Yes, Korbel's is champagne. I knew once in California that champagnes had to be called sparkling as only wines made in the Champagne Region of France could be called champagne. But I just checked a bottle and it's labeled California Champagne. I know two other wineries in the area however are still calling their's sparkling wine. It's still good, whatever it's called! Too bad about what sounds like shipping restrictions in your state.
Super Contributor
On 6/29/2014 ennui1 said:

I love any opportunity to post my favorite article about why we should drink cheap wine. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2011/11/why_you_should_be_drinking_cheap_wine.html

Hi Ennui1! Thanks for the article, but I stopped reading when I got to "1 bottle per month."

That's too bad. You missed a great article.

One bottle per month per capita has a lot to do with the way wine is marketed in the US.