Honored Contributor

Have any of you ever bought the desserts from their glass case in the deli area?

Everything looks nice, but having had things on their harshly spiced food bar, I'm concerned!  Thanks!

Respected Contributor
Beautiful cakes, no taste
Trusted Contributor

@Janey2 ~ Interesting you say that.  I bought one of their lamb cakes for Easter.  It was adorable, even the box was cute!  It was the dryest, most tasteless cake we've ever eaten!  Huge disappointment!  I called the store and (politely) told the manager and he was kind enough to refund my money.  Needless to say, the cake wasn't cheap.  :-)

Super Contributor

I agree with the others, beautiful to look at, not cheap and a huge disappointment to eat.

I don't mind paying but it should be good.

I got some of their cakes for a party and was so embarrassed.

Better to find a nice local boutique bakery that you can trust, they may not be cheap but who cares, not like you're going to eat pastry everyday.

Honored Contributor

Yes, but the bakery is different in each area. They are source some things locally for the bakery case. I noticed this when I lived in different states. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

The bakeries must be different in different areas. I'm in NorCal, and the Chantilly cake is really good! My mom always requests it. My friend bought a fruit tart for my birthday, and it was also really good. 

Trusted Contributor

Totally agree. Lovely to look at but absolutely NO Taste.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the tasteless cakes.  I found a local french bakery does a wonderful job and there is always the Kahlua cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory to fall back on! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Whole Foods Bakery Case

[ Edited ]

@ECBG

I have several Whole Foods close to me, in very reasonable driving distances.

One of them has a fantastic, and I mean fantastic, frangipane tart.  The other's looks identical, but the taste wasn't there.  If I'd had that one first, I would never have known how good a really good one could be.

The chantilly cake has never disappointed.

Some of the decorated cupcakes have disappointed.

It depends on the individual store.  Some are lucky enough to have exceptional bakers.

One thing you can try  is the individual slices of whatever they have in the cold case.  That might help.

p.s.  In the deli cases of WF stores near me, the other foods tend to be under-seasoned rather than over.  It seems many of the stores are very individual when it comes to prepared foods.

Here is a kind of frangipane:

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I recently bought one of their peach pies (never bought one of their pies before and just got it because it was on sale), and it was absolutely delicious.  You could tell they had used fresh peaches, and the crust was short and wonderful.  Tasted homemade.