Respected Contributor

Re: Which Cantaloupe Do You Prefer?

I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, about 75 miles from the closest Atlantic Ocean shoreline, and I can not recall the last time I have seen the 'stripey' Eastern Cantaloupe in any store. I mean, in many years.
Respected Contributor

Just finished lunch:  a bowl of cut up Cranshaw melon.  Like it better than cantaloupes.  Got it yesterday at a local farmer's market.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I prefer the small net ones.  They were grown locally and it's all we ever had growing up in Western New York State.  We called them muskmelon.

Honored Contributor

We only see the top one here, so I don't know what those smaller ones are like.    

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I love them all--especially when I just happen to pick a really good. It's hit or miss on that front for me. Don't have a clue as how  to be assured of a good each time. However, if I get one that is blah tasting, I whirl it up in my Vitamix, then pour it into ice cube trays to freeze for my a.m. smoothies.

ITA @wagirl , I sort of find it just depends whether the Produce gods have smiled on me that day Smiley Happy . I have followed all the hints and rules that I have seen and heard as to how to choose--sometimes it works -- sometimes not Smiley Happy Blah does blend into submission when whirled in a blender with sweetner for a smoothee or sorbet.

I live in a large city so have access to just about every kind and have bought both types mentioned. The best this time of year are from the southern part of the state called muskmelon .

Early in the season I purchased one that a produce employee recommended that I had never heard of before -- Hami . It is oblong and the first one I purchased was very sweet and had more of a texture to it. I never could find another lately.

Super Contributor

I don't know if the melons we buy are "eastern", they are called tuscan melons in our stores, and I absolutely love them. Have never bought a bad one yet.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I love them all--especially when I just happen to pick a really good. It's hit or miss on that front for me. Don't have a clue as how  to be assured of a good each time. However, if I get one that is blah tasting, I whirl it up in my Vitamix, then pour it into ice cube trays to freeze for my a.m. smoothies.

@wagirlI taught Foods and Advanced Foods.  The best time to buy cantaloupe (or most fruits for that matter) is when you walk into produce you can smell them.

To find a ripe cantaloupe, press your thumb into the stem in.  The softness indicates the ripeness.  Generally, I leave cantaloupes on my counter top to develop ripeness and better flavor for about four days to five.  It depends on the softness you prefer.  I don't want mush nor do I like rock hard because the sugar hasn't developed.

This is one of the fruits that doesn't best ripen in a brown paper bag to develop the sugar.

Also, pineapple is a fruit that stops ripening when it is picked.  I have found Dole to have the most flavor if I'm not buying fresh.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Just finished lunch:  a bowl of cut up Cranshaw melon.  Like it better than cantaloupes.  Got it yesterday at a local farmer's market.

@jlkzI'd like to try that.  I'm in NC.  Where are you?Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

The best cantaloupe we ever have are from Maryland's eastern shore, they are just delicious!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG

PA

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill