Honored Contributor

What things to do cook and bake for others, even though you don't eat them yourself?

I don't have much of a sweet tooth. Most of what I bake is for my husband, coworkers, friends, and I rarely eat it myself.

There is nothing I find more satisfying to bake, than pie. 

I don't care much for pie - I might have a slice of apple pie, but very infrequently.

Also, anything chocolate.  I don't really care for it, but my family loves it.

Do you bake or cook things that you don't eat?  It sounds kind of crazy, but I'm betting I'm not the only one.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: What things to do cook and bake for others, even though you don't eat them yourself?

Sure I do, and I bake whatever their favorite is. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Re: What things to do cook and bake for others, even though you don't eat them yourself?

Mostly, I don't.

But, I do make birdie omelets for the bird and eggs gross me out so, other than that, I don't use them unless it's in a baking type recipe where they disappear into the food.

I do the omelets for him because I pack them with stuff he should eat but otherwise won't.  Plus, he gets the protein and calcium from the eggs.  Sometimes I crunch up some of the shell to put in there (wouldn't recommend this for humans!) because it's good for him.

I'm not too grossed out by it (except for the part of removing that gross white thing from each egg before I use it), but the kitchen smells so nasty for having cooked all those eggs.

I make 6-8 of them at a time because I can freeze and vacuum seal each one and I have enough for a few months at a time.  I have a rectangular pan that I use so they have a shape that's easy to cut up into portions.  They are kind of like the shape of a burrito.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It isn't baking, but there are friends that want my potato salad for their birthdays.  They've already gotten a big tray of homemade cookies and candies as a Christmas present.

Honored Contributor

I cook fresh fish for my husband, but you couldn't pay me to eat it.   I have made thousands of peanut butter chews for bake sales and fundraisers, and send them out of this house without a hint of desire to keep any of them.    

Honored Contributor

I owned a small catering/bakery home business for over 20 years (used income to offset my boys ice hockey sport). I enjoy cooking & baking from scratch but now there is really no one to share it with - spouse doesn't eat sweets & majority of my close friends have passed on this year.

Yesterday, I made a tray of biscotti & various cookies - ended up sending them down to our maintenance / golf shop. I'm trying to use up ingredients in my pantry.

I honestly can say "I'm not really tempted". Even sweets I enjoy a good piece of bday cake but even when I make sweets now I just pack them and deliver them. 

I do sneak a swipe of good homemade cream cheese or buttercream chocolate icing😉

Im baking a lemon pound cake and carrot cake to take to my cousins tomorrow for our gathering - oh that cream cheese icing is so calling me!!!

Honored Contributor

I bake all of the time and I have Celiac Disease, so I don't even get to lick the spoon of most of it 

My DH has a sweet tooth and I make homemade bread, cake, pies and other treats for him and others.  I make homemade pizza when my Grands visit and I make homemade pasta on occasion.

It used to bother me to make items that I love, but can't eat, but it's been about 30 years and I am over it now.

Respected Contributor

Any baking I do is for others. I really don't like baked goods. Just made a lemon cake yesterday that I will have non of ...

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

House cat you hit it right on the head with me! i love to bake and bake a LOT for work..everyone gets a cake on their birhtday of COURSE!..I really only want a "bite" or a piece of what i bake, so they get a lot of treats!

At Christmas I go nuts and do all kinds of cookies and candies, huge platters for lots of folks, and though I am tempted to stop (heck even though I love it, it IS a LOT of work!) but cant bear their reaction when I mention discontinuing it..They love it and I love that they do!

I am sure I have posted pics before , but here  it is again...xmas cookies 2.jpgxmas cookies 2015 2.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker you have so much variety on your trays.  I can't imagine the time it takes, plus all the clean up.  I did not bake a single Christmas treat this year.