Honored Contributor

What's the difference between cod and halibut?

Another seafood question. I love certain kinds of seafood but don't know a lot about other kinds. Can someone tell me what's alike and not alike between cod and halibut? Or can you recommend a meaty white fish?

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Re: What's the difference between cod and halibut?

In my book, they are both delicious, mild, white, meaty fish. I think halibut is in the flounder family, but I think the two species can pretty much be used interchangeably in just about any recipe. What are you thinking about making? Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Poodlepet said: In my book, they are both delicious, mild, white, meaty fish. I think halibut is in the flounder family, but I think the two species can pretty much be used interchangeably in just about any recipe. What are you thinking about making? Poodlepet

My usual sources for halibut are out of stock so I'm looking for something similar...meaty, white, easy to fix. I fix it several ways but they are pretty basic....a little olive oil and whatever spices or lemon I feel like that day. Would cod be similar?

Honored Contributor

Calm,

Do you have access to Rockfish (striped bass)?

What about flounder?

Contributor

Haddock is a favorite fish of mine. Very similar to cod, and halibut.

Super Contributor

On 11/22/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

My usual sources for halibut are out of stock so I'm looking for something similar...meaty, white, easy to fix. I fix it several ways but they are pretty basic....a little olive oil and whatever spices or lemon I feel like that day. Would cod be similar?

All of these species are similar in texture to Pacific halibut but all have unique taste.
Alaska pollock, catfish, grouper, haddock, Pacific cod, Pacific rockfish, Pacific sole, striped bass and swordfish.
I've worked in and around the Pacific coast commercial fishing industry much of my life and personally I prefer the more oil rich yellowfin or albacore tuna - there's a reason they call it chicken of the sea. Baked or BBQ'd, fresh tuna loin is a completely different taste experience then what comes out of a can.

Respected Contributor

Agree with last poster: I love fresh tuna but the smell of tuna from a can makes me ill. How DH can eat it is beyond me. What's ironic is that he doesn't like fresh tuna. Go figure!!!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I do not like fresh tuna either. I like a very mild fish and prefer it to be white fish. Living on the east coast there are a lot that I like. I prefer Haddock, cod, and fluke.

Honored Contributor

Halibut is way more expensive than cod. I love them both but at my fish store, it is at least $20 a pound. Cod I can buy for $5 a pound on sale.

Esteemed Contributor

Halibut is a member of the flatfish. You are much more likely to term Halibut as a fish cut in steaks like tuna. It's flesh is thicker and firmer than cod. Cod has a light flaky texture and is usually sold in fillet form. Both are very tasty but have a difference texture. Can't go wrong with either. My favorite fillet is haddock. Being from the east coast of Camada, that is no surprise. Some of the best haddock comes from George's Bank in the Gulf of Maine which has been fished by Canadians and Americans for hundreds of years.

Enjoy your seafood. Great time of year to buy here ... Flesh is nice and firm in the cooler/colder months. LM.