Honored Contributor

Re: What's the best way to make a tender beef stew?

I used to make it stovetop in a stock pot but now I make it in the pressure cooker. When I made it in the stock pot I would brown the meat after I coated it with seasoned flour. After I browned the meat I would deglaze with some red wine add beef broth & let the meat simmer until today. Once the meat was tender I would add onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, bay leaf & salt & pepper & let simmer until tender. I think it took about 8 hrs. Now I put everything in the pressure cooker & it takes about 12 mins. & is just as good. It takes longer for the pressure cooker to get up to pressure & release pressure then it does to actually cook it.

Smile

Contributor

I made beef stew yesterday in my 3 in 1 Ninja cooking system. Browned the beef cubes in the pot, then added 2 red potatoes cut in bite size chunks, 1 onion, some baby carrots, and beef broth. I cooked it on the slow cooker setting for 4 hours and it came out perfect. The broth thickened up to a nice brown gravy on its own without me having to thicken it myself. Really hit the spot on this very rainy day in California.

Honored Contributor

I brown my meat first, then add one envelope of dry onion soup mix, put it in the Crock Pot with carrots, onions, potatoes, celery, and cook it low and slow; add water or beef broth as needed.

Respected Contributor

I brown the beef first after it has been coated in flour, paprika and salt mix. Let it brown, toss into slow cooker along with what everyone else mentioned as far as veggies go. I use about a cup of beef broth then about 4 cups of water. I also add about a tbs of Worcestershire sauce. I also throw in a little bit more flour before the broth gets too hot and stir until dissolved. It make the sauce a little thicker, but not too thick. Let it cook all day on low. Right before it's ready, I make dumplings and put them on the top of the stew. My husbands favorite meal during the winter.

Honored Contributor

Using a tomato or red wine gravy will tenderize the meat

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

I first make sure I buy good quality meat. I never buy ""stew meat"". I buy sirloin and cut it up or a shoulder roast.

Super Contributor

I find sirloin to be too lean and tender to make good stew- I prefer chuck, so all the connective tissue slow cooks and melts out and flavors the dish...

Super Contributor

On 3/1/2014 Lynneuk said:

The best flavor comes from browning the meat really well. That develops the fond on the bottom of the pot, then deglaze the pot with a little red wine.

This is SO true! even if you are ultimately pressure cooking or using a crockpot!

Honored Contributor

On 3/1/2014 stilltamn8r said:

I find sirloin to be too lean and tender to make good stew- I prefer chuck, so all the connective tissue slow cooks and melts out and flavors the dish...

ITA. I wouldn't consider sirloin a good cut of meat, anyway, but chuck is so wonderfully flavorful and will break down beautifully.

Regular Contributor

I use Lawry's stew mix usually 2 for more than just me here. I buy the cubes of stewing beef you have to flour it and add a tad of oil , to brown it cover with water it calls for and let it go.....then add onions, potato's , carrots and its the best I've had...served with hot rolls