Honored Contributor

Re: What's the WORST food. . . that you just LOVE!

Ury - Funny you should mention buttermilk. I was just talking about that with my husband as, decades ago, I knew a woman (much older than I) who loved it and drank a humongous glass of it every day.

I've never tried it, but can assure that I don't like it. Just thinking about it makes me queasy.

We were discussing that it seemed to be popular among people of a certain age group when we were younger. Everybody both of us knew who liked it were older.

I won't even cook with it.

Frequent Contributor

Sour cream and onion potato chips with a cheese steak
Esteemed Contributor

Hi chickenbutt. Buttermilk was a staple in our fridge. My North Carolina dad kept that and a jar of pickled pigs feet in the fridge. I'd hide the 'feet' in the back when friends came over so they didn't think we were the Adams family.

My husband remembers the buttermilk, as I took a big swig of buttermilk before our first kiss. We were 19. I thought it was hilarious. Him? Not so much...

My dad's favorite evening snack was a glass of cold, crumbled cornbread with sliced onions - then he'd pour buttermilk over the top. Eat it with a spoon. That was better than ice cream to him. Honestly, he grew up on a farm in Stecoah, NC. I'm sure he ate much worse than that in his childhood years.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

On 3/22/2015 chickenbutt said:

Ury - Funny you should mention buttermilk. I was just talking about that with my husband as, decades ago, I knew a woman (much older than I) who loved it and drank a humongous glass of it every day.

I've never tried it, but can assure that I don't like it. Just thinking about it makes me queasy.

We were discussing that it seemed to be popular among people of a certain age group when we were younger. Everybody both of us knew who liked it were older.

I won't even cook with it.

Buttermilk is very good for the digestive system with all that good bacteria. I don't drink it but do drink loads of milk, about 2 gallons a week.

Super Contributor

On 3/22/2015 Mary Bailey said:
On 3/22/2015 MathisFan said:

Braunschweiger on toast with mayo and mustard. Love it!

Mine was no mayo, but dill pickles and mustard and

White Castle sliders and

Slurpee and Hostess Snowballs (for breakfast)

....is what I craved during two pregnancies.

now for my menopause years I have a hard time with moderation, so that pretty much includes everything but vegetables and fruit.

That could be a whole new thread!!!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think I can come up with anything as good (bad!) as white bread and mayonnaise. ha! Excuse me while I barf.

Anyway, Sooner - you will probably like this one. One really bad guilty pleasure for me is Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup - right out of the can! It's so flavorful and, of course, salty and savory. This has been a guilty pleasure, really bad food, thing for me for as long as I can remember. I didn't eat it for many years and you know what? It still tastes EXACTLY the same as it did decades ago.

I actually, finally, tried it heated up with half a can of water and it's still good. Smiley Happy yay!

CB, my son used to love that soup when he was young! I didn't think it was bad either! But now I would love Surf 'N Turf... a BIG filet mignon that melts in your mouth, and lobster with melted butter to dip it in, along with a big baked potato also with LOTS of butter! And a great salad to go along with it... with all the usual good stuff including lots of chopped hard boiled eggs and bacon on top! Yum!!!

ETA: I forgot... pie! Peach and blueberry pie... pumpkin pie with pecan, butter and brown sugar toasted on top... coconut cream pie... and just about any other kind of pie you can name!

Respected Contributor

I actually LOVE food from cans such as:

Chef Boyardee Ravioli

Corn beef hash with those little white cubes

Spaghetti-os with meatballs

AND YES!!! Bean with bacon soup--Campbells!!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/22/2015 Ladybug724 said:

I actually LOVE food from cans such as:

Chef Boyardee Ravioli

Corn beef hash with those little white cubes

Spaghetti-os with meatballs

AND YES!!! Bean with bacon soup--Campbells!!!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I don't do it often, but I love to fry the corned beef hash so it's crispy on the outside and have it with cabbage and onions and cornbread!

And I eat little cans of Beanie Weenies as a snack! They have different flavors now! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Super Contributor

On 3/22/2015 Sooner said:

Now some of you are talking about "good" food that is "bad" for you. LOL!!! I'm talking about BAD food that you think is GOOD FOOD. Spam, bologna, fried saltines (now that's different!)! I LOVE THIS THREAD!

We may have to declare National Bad Food day sometime! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} I have thoroughly enjoyed these responses (that cat is wonderful!) and thank all of you for a good time!

Well my first answer was going to be bacon gravy over white bread. But, after reading this post, I understand the question and my answer to the BAD food that I think is good, is Totinos pizza, those cheap $0.99 pizzas. I have never understood WHY I like them but I do.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I can come up with anything as good (bad!) as white bread and mayonnaise. ha! Excuse me while I barf.

Anyway, Sooner - you will probably like this one. One really bad guilty pleasure for me is Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup - right out of the can! It's so flavorful and, of course, salty and savory. This has been a guilty pleasure, really bad food, thing for me for as long as I can remember. I didn't eat it for many years and you know what? It still tastes EXACTLY the same as it did decades ago.

I actually, finally, tried it heated up with half a can of water and it's still good. Smiley Happy yay!

You are going to laugh yourself silly over this: I HATE bean with bacon soup! My husband LOVES it, and so did my mother! I like Vegetarian Vegetable soup and that's about it for canned soup except for in casseroles and dressing! Would you have believed it? HA ha ha!!!