Honored Contributor

Re: What's cooking in September?

Chicken marsala, rice, and asparagus today.

Honored Contributor

@angelina maria 

Its so easy & delicious that it's kinda "embarrassing"...my cousin gave it to me.  I've changed it a bit but here it is:

Cook orzo in chicken broth separately.  Drain pasta putting broth into soup.  Set aside orzo (I use pastina, egg noodles, ditalini depending on what I have). 

2 celery stalks including tops, 2 carrots, 1 medium onion - diced

2 chicken bullion cubes

1 tsp. Minced garlic (optional)

1 full flavor container any brand chicken stock (I use Progresso no off brands don't like them)

1 low sodium or reduced salt chicken broth

3-4 chicken thighs (skin on)--frozen or thawed

4 tbsp. Fresh Parsley -- added at end 

In Dutch oven (or soup pot) sauté celery, onions, carrots, buillion and garlic till translucent.

ADD chicken broth including broth from pasta.  Add chicken thighs (I put in frozen).

Bring to slow boil then reduce to simmer for 2 hours.  
Remove thighs - take skin off and shred -- return to pot.

Cook another 1 hour or so

I taste then add a little salt (if needed) & pepper & add parsley.

I let it sit to cool a bit to skim excess "fat".  Reheat and add pasta to bowl before adding soup. (the pasta will absorb the broth so I add separately but you can always add to soup & add more broth)

Enjoy🙂🙂🙂

homedecor1 

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze 

I like red peppers so I make a few for me the rest are green.

The tomato purée makes them all look red.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Rainy gloomy day here in FL but no "crisp Fall" air ☹️ 
so had the urge for "comfort foods" and a day of enjoying cooking.

Started with making fresh chicken orzo soup

51B819B9-B4F6-4591-888F-C2F2EC27A858.jpeg

Peppers finally on sale at good price -- made big pot of stuffed peppers for freezer

then spouse asked me since I was in the cooking mood if I'd make his favorite dessert.  French vanilla, coconut cream filling w/cream cheese icing.

0104926E-3CF6-4C2B-9ADC-2A0D7F2393D7.jpeg

D9FAE710-926A-46CD-99D8-ECC20BA23B0E.jpeg
We will enjoy good bowl of soup with crusty baguette tonight😋😋😋

@homedecor1 :  I could eat that whole cake...delicious.  Hope DH is doing better.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No cooking for me for the next several days.  DH and I drove up to a little town in northern Indiana this evening.  We stopped along the way for dinner. Since we had already had a bigger lunch than usual, we both opted for salad.  I had a large house salad with chicken, bacon, bleu cheese crumbles, and bleu cheese dressing.  He had a big Caesar with a really nice size piece of blackened salmon on it. I got my nerve up and tried a tiny bite of the salmon.  It wasn't too bad, not fishy as I expected.  Tomorrow we'll be eating at a local restaurant here. Saturday we're eating out with family, trying a new place. Sunday will be our Costco run so I'm not sure what's going to happen.  

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom 

Thank you for asking he's just "hanging in there" we only take it one day at a time.

As for the cake I gave most of it to my friend and my spouse was wondering where it went ...oops😉I knew he'd eat the whole thing!!

have a good evening💐

homedecor1

Valued Contributor

Occasional Contributor

Thank-you so much home decor, that was very kind of you! I too, love to cook orzo in the broth for added flavor. I don't know your situation but I really hope your husband is doing well. One thing I do know is he has a wife that cooks delicious food.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Salmon, mushroom rice pilaf, and cucumber salad today.

Honored Contributor

@angelina maria wrote:

Home Decor, everything looks so good but I am really wondering if you could plese share your chicken orzo soup recipe. Not a problem if you can't. Thank-you.

@angelina maria 

hope you enjoy the recipe & thank you for your well wishes for spouse (and me)🌷