Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in May - it got here really fast!!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Trusted Contributor

@Preds missed you yesterday,

Boop

Respected Contributor

@Soushi24, it's a long process, you are doing good, don't try to rush things, grieving takes time & a lot of stamina, just follow your heart.  My prayers are with you.

Honored Contributor

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Good Morning Preds and all. Friday did get here quickly - it always seems to zoom up.

Had great spaghetti last night with Garlic Toast. Can't do any better.

Hope one and all have a great day. Soushi, you are missed but we understand.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

I will be making this tonight.  It is especially good on a hot evening, no heavy duty cooking, and served at room temperature.

Parsley Salad with Toasted Almonds and Lemon - DELICIOUS!

3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, grated
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup cold, cooked rice, such as basmati, I use brown
5 cups roughly chopped Italian parsley, with tender stems
1 cup whole almonds, toasted and roughly chopped, I buy canned whole toasted and salted
1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion, such as Vidalia
Zest of 1 lemon

Directions
Make the dressing right in the serving bowl: Combine the lemon juice, mustard, honey, pepper, salt and garlic in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking until emulsified.

(I usually use Trader's Joe's brown rice found in the freezer, takes three minutes to cook in the microwave, but don't have this for tonight, so will use other rice.  I also cook this last and add ingredients to it after it has cooled down a bit, but not cold.)

Add the parsley to the dressing and toss to combine. Add the rice, almonds, onions and lemon zest, and toss well.

(I cook some prawns, cut them into chunks, and add them, and as far as I am concerned, this makes the salad fantastic)

Respected Contributor

Mousiegirl, that really looks good. Was interested in your comment re brown rice. I pay $35 each month and receive a minimum of 70 pounds of food - it is a super good thing. A close friend was involved in it about 15 years ago, I bought some for several months and then stopped - not sure why. Started up again about a year ago. Rarely  do you get junk - you pick it up 1 time a months - and how lucky can I get - right at my church I attend now. Today was great - two HUGE bags of fresh cherries, a good 8 bell peppers, 6 cukes, cilantro, yellow squash, chicken, dozen Greek yogurt, cheeses and a lot of other stuff including brown rice which comes each month. I have never developed a taste for the brown rice and I love white rice but do not eat it like I did when I was younger. Interesting enough however, I am fixing stuffed peppers for tonight.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Mousiegirl, that really looks good. Was interested in your comment re brown rice. I pay $35 each month and receive a minimum of 70 pounds of food - it is a super good thing. A close friend was involved in it about 15 years ago, I bought some for several months and then stopped - not sure why. Started up again about a year ago. Rarely  do you get junk - you pick it up 1 time a months - and how lucky can I get - right at my church I attend now. Today was great - two HUGE bags of fresh cherries, a good 8 bell peppers, 6 cukes, cilantro, yellow squash, chicken, dozen Greek yogurt, cheeses and a lot of other stuff including brown rice which comes each month. I have never developed a taste for the brown rice and I love white rice but do not eat it like I did when I was younger. Interesting enough however, I am fixing stuffed peppers for tonight.

@Winifred  That sounds great, what a haul!  I used to stuff peppers with rice, olives, herbs, cooked cubes of eggplant, cheese, or whatever I thought of.  I often put basil. parsley, garlic, salt and pepper and extra virgin olive oil in a blender and add that to cooked rice, it is so yummy.  You might try this in the brown rice, will certainly give it more flavor.

The recipe actually calls for basmati which is white rice,  nicer though, and I use it when not using brown, but I like the chewieness of brown, and DH likes white best.  I am using a mix of sprouted rice and quinoa as I bought a bag at Costco a few weeks ago, and if I am not happy with it, I will throw in a bag of the Trader Joes', actually found two bags in the freezer. Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor