Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking in January 2017

[ Edited ]

Well, as usual, I just discovered the new thread, lol, do this every month.  I notice that no one has posted, but it takes me a week to figure out that I am in the wrong month.

I have been fighting a horrible virus, so after Christmas, I didn't cook until this week.  I cubed and froze three meals worth of the rest of the Christmas Prime Rib, didn't want to waste any of it as it cost a small fortune.  I will make tacos or burritos of it down the road.

We have been eating the New Year's ham, or at least I have, every day.  I can't taste anythig, but I do taste the salt, and this must be what keeps me eating it as usually, after three days or so, I am sick of a food and stop eating it.  DH will slice and bag it for the freezer on Sunday, great for sandwiches or just fried with sides.  I have been eating my daily ham fried and stuffed into a grilled flatbread with lettuce tucked in.

We ate QVC's potstickers last night, pork and some vege, bought tons over the holiday thinking DD would love them, but she told me she had been eating a lot of them lately, so now we have a freezer full, lol.  I fried very thin cabbage shreds and added a bit of sesame oil as a bed for them.  DH always wants a salad or something else with them even if they are vege, so I think cabbage is perfect, and lucky for him I had a cabbage in the frig.

DH went to Costco last night and bought a bag of mussels, so we will have those tonight.  I cook them in garlic, wine, saffron,shallots, and herbs.  I remove them from the shells,, then add heavy cream, and just before serving, add baby spinach.  The broth is like a soup, delicious.  Will have a baguette, maybe with garlic butter. and that's all.

I finished the last of the Christmas cookies yesterday as they freeze so well.  This year, I will bake most cookies weeks ahead and freeze.

The next few days are stormy here, just hate wind.

Honored Contributor

Image result for Happy cold morning

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

Good morining all. Glad to see you found us again Mousiegirl. LOL. We have been scarce with visitors lately and that makes me sad but super happy you found us. Read about all the good food at your house. Wish you lived closer - I would just drop in as you sure have some good food there. Cabbage shreds is good in a lot of things - Love cabbage.

We did have that huge roast last night, me Davey and the little girl. Sigh. Everyone deserted us. Cooked it with cut up potatoes and baby carrots and had cabbage separately. Very very good. Actually have enough of the meat combo for dinner again tonight - why prepare more when there is plenty just needing warming up.

Have not tried the QVC potstickers yet - may do that soon.

Stay warm everyone.

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: text

Have a great one!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Image result for good morning friends images

Respected Contributor

last night my wife made a chicken parm lasagna and a home made carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, all was super good. good morning everyone.

Respected Contributor

Another very very cold morning. Am freezing sitting here. Brrrrr. Not suppose to have rain again today - hope that is true - but it will be back tomorrow. Poured down all Sunday night.

Shannon fixed fish sticks, macaroni and cheese and fish sticks and green beans last night. She, her friend and the kids ate their fill. Ricky loves green beans. Nice of her to do that and she actually cleaned up MOST of her mess. I was very impressed. LOL.

Pooky sounds like you had good eating at your home. Nothing wrong in that is there?

Would like to have stayed in bed - just do not want to get up and move much any more but Davey has to get to school. That means this morning I have to lug the two little ones with me - the chore is when I get home. I know just how old I really am as I have to haul the little girl in with her car seat - that seat is so very heavy - and then go back and "untie" Ricky so he can get loose. LOL.

Hope one and all have a great day. Not sure just what will be for dinner - do still have a lot of food in the Fridge and that needs to be taken out and eaten before new things are brought out - we shall see as the day progresses.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Another very very cold morning. Am freezing sitting here. Brrrrr. Not suppose to have rain again today - hope that is true - but it will be back tomorrow. Poured down all Sunday night.

Shannon fixed fish sticks, macaroni and cheese and fish sticks and green beans last night. She, her friend and the kids ate their fill. Ricky loves green beans. Nice of her to do that and she actually cleaned up MOST of her mess. I was very impressed. LOL.

Pooky sounds like you had good eating at your home. Nothing wrong in that is there?

Would like to have stayed in bed - just do not want to get up and move much any more but Davey has to get to school. That means this morning I have to lug the two little ones with me - the chore is when I get home. I know just how old I really am as I have to haul the little girl in with her car seat - that seat is so very heavy - and then go back and "untie" Ricky so he can get loose. LOL.

Hope one and all have a great day. Not sure just what will be for dinner - do still have a lot of food in the Fridge and that needs to be taken out and eaten before new things are brought out - we shall see as the day progresses.

@Winifred wrote:

@Winifred  Why do you have to take the car seat in?  I always left mine in the car, too heavy and bothersome.  I couldn't even get the thing fastened in the car the day I bought it, had to stop a guy in the Toys Are Us parking lot to help me, LOL.

Respected Contributor

Mousiegirl, actually I sometimes do just leave the car seat in the car. But then I also take the *(&*%^%$ thing out and kick myself. Usually do the latter and then regret it. Those car seats are so wicked. Also I often have other people to haul around and I generally ALWAYS leave Ricky' s big honking car seat in the car. That thing is really royal pain to install and weighs a ton. Guess there is no perfect solution when I sometimes need that space for someone else. LOL.

Leftovers today - worked for me.

Ricky was completely out of control today. Have never seen him so angry with everything. Just wish they could find his reasons and fix them. Working on it.

Am tired - say a prayer that Ricky will crash all the way soon as well as the little girl. She has been staying up way late past couple weeks and it is driving me insane. Not sure why.

Hope one and all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

Image result for hello friends