Honored Contributor

About a month ago, I made a Tex-Mex cassorole.  I was going to make again  today.  When I poured in the rest of the salsa that was stored in the refrigerator, chunks of what looked like mozzarella cheese came out of the jar.  It didn't look like mold, and the salsa smelled okay, but I decided to toss out my casserole.  Now I'm hoping one of the good cooks on this board could tell me what might have happened to the salsa.

Honored Contributor

Re: What happened to my salsa

I don't have a clue, but can you tell us the brand so I can avoid it?  We are big salsa users. 

Honored Contributor

Salsa doesn't keep long once it's opened.    (I've gotten those mysterious lumps of goo, and assumed they were some form of mold or rot.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Mine usually lasts quite a while.  I keep it on the bottom shelf of my fridge (not the door) and I for the most part buy Trader Joe products.

Honored Contributor

DesertDi, I've never seen that before but I'm kind of glad you know what I'm talking about. The brand was Chi-Chi's but I don't think the problem was with the brand, but just the fact that I had stored it in the door of my fridge for about a month.
Trusted Contributor

I would not use salsa that was opened a month before unless you want to get botulism Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Botulism typically happens with canned goods.

AuntG, send Chi Chis an email and ask them what happened.  I'm curious also.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

It just plain got moldy.  Next time check it before you pour it in the casserole and ruin the whole dish.

I think sometimes a bit of something gets in the open jar or maybe you used the same spoon in the casserole and then in the salsa and that is what causes it to mold.

Who knows?  If there is anything thick in the jar I dump it!

Honored Contributor

it sounds like mold to me. since you have not used the jar for a month it isnt surprising. salsa does go bad fast once it is opened, even if it is refrigerated. it helps to take it out of the glass container and put it in a lock and lock container to preserve its freshness. i believe it may even say on the container use within  7 days of opening.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein