Respected Contributor

Re: What do you add to your cole slaw?

One year for Thanksgiving I made a very yummy cole slaw with dried cranberries, apples, toasted almond slivers, toasted pecans, and the dressing was a sweet-sour type--it was out of this world good!

Trusted Contributor

Grated cabbage, carrots, and sometimes sweet onion.......dressed with Hellman's mayo, a dollop of dijon mustard, a couple of spoonsful of sugar, a drizzle of juice from my jar of pickled jalapeno peppers, salt, and a dash or two of celery seed. I mix up the dressing ingredients in my serving bowl and then stir in the grated veggies. Slaw is always best if you serve it right after it's made.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for reminding me GoodStuff. Mine also had onions, and celery seed, also grated carrots. The dressing did have sugar also. Mine was better when it sat for awhile so that the flavors "married"

Contributor

We love coleslaw and I make it many different ways. One of the simplest and best:

1 bag coleslaw mix

Garlic Expressions Salad Dressing (or, if you are in Florida, Publix carries Columbia Restaurant Vinaigrette that is vey good)

Freshly grated parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper

Ingredients are to taste....I don't have an actual recipe.

Refrigerate one - two hours before serving. Add salt and freshly ground pepper (I use lots) to taste before serving

Honored Contributor

vinegar

Honored Contributor

We went to the Cattleman's steakhouse in El Paso and they had pineapple in their coleslaw. I loved it and always add ever since. Cabbage, pepper, carrots and chunks of pineapple.

Super Contributor

usually pineapple and chopped peanuts or slivered toasted almonds....

Honored Contributor

I open up a jar of Marzetti's slaw dressing, add a chopped up red onion and I'm good to go!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

For me cole slaw is one of those basic foods I prefer very plain; grated cabbage (no packaged mix), mayo, sugar, vinegar and celery seed. Every now and then I will eat it with grated carrots, green pepper, and onion, but that's as far as I'll go outside the box.

Super Contributor

VINEGAR AND GARLIC