Respected Contributor

What do you add to your cole slaw?

I've been playing around with additions to what could be boring cole slaw.

Today I added:

diced apples

quartered marinated artichokes

sliced queen green olives

pine nuts

It varies depending on what's in the fridge. I've also added bacon bits, green onions and chopped pecans. You just can't mess it up!

As a final touch I sprinkle just a smidgen of sugar.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you add to your cole slaw?

I usually just use plain old cabbage with finely grated green peppers and also some celery seed -- sometimes just a smidge of carrots. But I like your idea of playing around with it, especially the green onions and bacon bits. I think it would be good with the diced apples depending on what you're serving it with. And I always use sugar in my dressing.

I would be interested if anyone has a good recipe for a more vinegar based, sweet/sour type of dressing either without mayo or with very little (although here in the south I use a combination of Dukes Mayo and Miracle Whip-I know a lot of people can't stand Miracle Whip but I grew up with it!).{#emotions_dlg.laugh} There used to be a restaurant here that had that kind of cole slaw dressing, but I don't know how they made it.

Honored Contributor

I like coleslaw with pineapple bits in it.

Super Contributor

pommom, I've never been a fan of cole slaw - but if I ever had a chance to eat yours, I'm sure I'd change my mind! I never would have thought you could use those ingredients in cole slaw, but it sounds delicious!

Honored Contributor

I prefer the broccoli slaw mixtures.

I add mayo, Creole mustard and a little dill pickle juice.

Honored Contributor

Mother always added chopped, salted peanuts. It's a great wat to get kids to eat it and I always liked it too.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Believe it or not, I remember some cole slaw my mother made in which she put mini marshmallows. I would not add this now as I don't want additional sugar in my diet, but it really made for a nice sweet/tangy taste.

I just add finely shredded carrots and green onions to mine. For the dressing I use a combination of Greek yogurt, mayo, vinegar, stevia for a little sweetness, and a bit of celery seed if I have it on hand.

Super Contributor

My sister-in-law taught me to add some dill weed. Adds a touch of freshness

Super Contributor

My sister-in-law taught me to add some dill weed. Adds a touch of freshness

Frequent Contributor

Fine green peppers, Black beans and corn. Dressing recipe from Mom's GoodHousekeeping cookbook. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Can't wait to try out some of these additions!