Honored Contributor

What Illustrates Your Relationship With Food?

Here's mine!

Image may contain: text

Honored Contributor

Re: What Illustrates Your Relationship With Food?

Learning to Love Lettuce

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

An empty plate.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

images (2).jpg

Honored Contributor

I can't smell or taste much so I feel like I just throw it down my throat.

Some days I hardly eat.  I take arthritis medicine and you have to take it with food, so I make sure I eat.  You'd think I'd be skinny.  I'm not because I'm interested in whatever is easiest and that usually means junk.  Plus I can hardly walk so I get very little exercise.  I'm hoping that will change this year as I used to always be on the go.

Food doesn't do much for me as far as liking it.

Respected Contributor

"NOBODY CAN EAT JUST ONE".

SOOO true ... With me and LAYS  anyhow! AND, with me and M&M's! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

aecd9d3c10f9c43a95443d2d57dcf8c1.jpg

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

pooh.jpg

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

But seriously, food is love in my culture.  I grew up in a big, loving, Italian-American family. We gathered every Sunday for a meal that lasted pretty much the entire afternoon.  No one in the family was obese.. pleasantly plump, perhaps, but not obese.  It was really more about the company than the food.  Everybody was funny and we had some of the best story tellers at that table.  I guess, for that reason, food has always been a symbol of joyfulness for me.

My husband's family is the exact opposite.  They eat to stay alive, and that's it.  They are not Italian, and as much as I love my MIL, she made comments about my family, over the years, that were hurtful.  It wasn't her intention to be hurtful, but the whole "food is love" thing was alien to her. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat HeartSmiley Happy  My late husband worked out like a crazy man.  He was 58 years old and had a '6-pack'!  He was in amazing shape.  One reason he worked out so much was so he could eat.  He loved really good (often expensive) food!  He had a very good friend who was head chef at a famous restaurant in Va.  We'd take this friend to the beach with us and he'd prepare the meals.  This was his way of paying for his vacation.  My husband even wanted to open a restaurant so he could eat there whenever he wanted to.  The friend said, "Thanks but no thanks...too much trouble getting a restaurant established".  Ha!  You have no idea.  We traveled all over Europe for a month mainly so he could eat his way through..

My best friend (her husband was also my husband's best friend) was just like him.  She loves to eat.  It's fun to watch her how much she really enjoys food.

We'd all four go out and my friend and my husband would be moaning over the food.  I'd say to my husband, "You don't moan over me like that".  He'd say, "Well you aren't (whatever the meal was).  We'd laugh because it was all in fun, but good grief he loved good food.

My former brother-in-law was from Alexandria Louisiana.  He cooked Creole food.  His speciality was jambalaya.  It was supposed to be so good a local restaurant paid him just to prepare it sometimes for them.  (I wouldn't know as I never would even taste it).  Ha!  Anyway, we'd go to New Orleans often and he spent 1/2 of the time trying to find good Creole food.  Me, I ate spaghetti or Filet Mignon.  I NEVER varied.  My girls ate chicken fingers.  Ha!  Can you imagine how frustrating it was for my husband (a real honest to goodness "FOODIE")?  I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating, but I promise, I'm not!  He wasn't overweight, I'm overweight!  Go figure!

We'd also take to the beach friends (a young couple).  He was a personal trainer (YES!  I know I'm surrounded by foodies who work out...what a nightmare...Ha!).  Anyway, weeks before we'd go to the beach he'd be preparing.  He'd eat lots of small meals during the day to 'speed up his metabolism'.  He'd come over and bring with him some kind of food (small amount) and it seemed to me like he was ALWAYS eating!  Ugh!  It was hard for someone like me who can't smell or taste to see someone eating all of the time.  Ha!

My husband used to say, "You need to lose weight because it's unhealthy.  You're going to die early".  I'd say, "Well the women in my family live to be in their late 90's (my great grandma was over 100), so don't worry about me.

So what happened?  He dropped dead.  Just like that!  They never found out what caused him to die.  I am positive I know and the Drs I have say, "You might be right".  Nothing physical (like heart, etc).  Low potassium I think is what killed him.  He exercised and sweated like a crazy man.  There'd be pools of water/sweat on the treadmill.  I'd have to wipe the thing down before I'd walk on it.  He'd run like crazy on it and the whole house would shake!  Something as simple as that.  Can you imagine?

So, there you have another of my life stories!  Ha!  I wonder how many other people are like him.  Such a love affair with food.  I think Oprah is exactly like him and my best friend.  I admire people who love something so much.  I can't think of anything I feel that way about.

Have a wonderful day.  You know Martin Luther King was my hero.  I'm 70 so I lived through all of the assassinations, etc.  Never cried.  But when he died, believe me I cried.  I just thought he was good for what ailed the country back then.  We could use a man like him now.