Valued Contributor

Re: Well, we had another pot luck at church tonight...

Myself and another lady put on the hospitality for 3 years at a Regional event and we always managed to get people in our organization to BAKE homemade goodies and the crowd loved it. It was such a treat for most people (many of them older folks....heck I'm one of them.) The last two years she and I turned it over to new ladies. Now, what is brought in, is store bought cookies and rolls. And had 5 people running around in the kitchen area like chickens with their heads off. Yes, laziness if the coming thing for get togethers it seems.

Respected Contributor

I never cook. I bring the forks/knives/chips LOL

Honored Contributor

I may take a hit on this one, but for the most part, I think it is laziness and lack of pride. Now we all know there might be a time where all we can do, for whatever reasons, might be the chips and dip. But for the most part, I was raised to believe that you should be proud of what you do, in all aspects of your life.

I would not be proud of myself. if most times I was participating in a potluck function, I took prepackaged or pre made from the store or deli foods. I would feel I had not given my best, as I am capable of buying food (affording it and being able to get out and buy it), and I am a fair cook, and good baker. 

If my cirucmstances were different, perhaps I would be proud that I could simply contribute something, anything, and that would be enough. But my guess is that many people who participate in these functions, just do the minimum, and move on.

So if enough people are truly proud of their contribution, and it is truly the best they could offer at the time, all is well.

Respected Contributor

@novadc wrote:

That attitude from a free-food recipient reminds me of one year when it seemed like half the kids who rang our bell on Halloween looked over the huge basket of about five different candies and asked if we had anything else, because they were allergic, or they just turned up their noses in general to the selection.

If a child is allergic to Halloween goods, maybe it would be safer (and more polite) to not go out and ring doorbells.

No kidding, requesting might be different, and not to one person, but everyone would be ok.

My daughter was a diabetic but she never wanted to be left out, so I always let her go Trick or Treating and then I paid her for her candy.  My son went just to hang out with his friends but never cared for sweets.  His candy got thrown away after a month or two.

I'm the only one of my friends that likes to cook, so who knows if people can cook or not.  LOL, I actually know someone who doesn't even have a kitchen in their house.  The eat every meal out.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Gosh it sounds like sometimes one shouldn't show up for potlucks at all if you have a bucket of chicken.  Sounds like in some instances it is a cooking contest. . . and the judging is pretty harsh!  LAZY?  Really?

Trusted Contributor

Hummmmwell last weekend we hd our annual Summer  Solstie party,it was Potluck.

I made my big Nesco Roaster full of Chili and had all the side fix'ins.

Only 3 others brought homemade dishes,the rest all store bought. Their were 4 homemade desserts the rest all store bought. My take was why the heck not do store bought if you can afford to,so much easier.I gave never have but maybe I will next time??  

What irritates me is single men who show up to eat empty handed and they eat the most,at least bring a watermelon or a bag of chips and some dip.

My dh was a RN and when they did potlucks at the hospital,they always had  him bring the drinks. He would make what he called a chocolate salad..a big bag of M & M's in bowl.

Respected Contributor

"Chocolate Salad"!   I love it! I bet it was the first dish to empty, too!

and hey! someone DOES nee ot bring the drinks and cups and plates, etc. I dont see naything wrong with that, But I DO really love the homeade food, and always contribute...a lot... 

But I work with a lot of guys and yep, we do get a lot fo bought desserts etc.. but you blance that with someones homemade ceviche, famous potato salad, or tamales.. and it all balances out...

Respected Contributor

I always find a pot luck interesting . A time to try different things and do not worry about nutrition or calories. One can find some great recipes to try(Hula girl I would look for you after tasting yours I am sure!) or what store to try to find some goodies. I enjoy the spontaneous nature of such gatherings. Of course I have been invited to some events where the sponsors forgot to mention until the last minute "oh yes it is a potluck" , so off the deli  I go on the way. But hey everone loves cookies!

Of course there was one special man that did not want the guests to tire on their journey home and turned a few loaves and fishes into sustanance for all, but that was rare!Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

I think that it's nice that people are bringing something to the potluck. It's possible that the person who is bringing the boxed mac. and cheese is on a limited budget, and is just really trying to do their best to bring something to eat. Some may just not be able to cook anymore, and so bringing something from a market may be their way of contributing. Or, they could be busy with other things, too. Who knows. I just think that it's nice that everyone wants to spend time together with each other. That's what I would be focusing on, too, if I were a part of that group. Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

I admire people who cook, but I don't do it well or without anxiety.  I do the best I can.  Most people are there to socialize anyway.