Respected Contributor

Well, we had another pot luck at church tonight...

I see my original post on the poor pot luck from a few weeks ago is gone, but....some of you probably remember it...

OK, it was supposed to be last week, but the guy who was supposed to call and tell me it was postponed to this week forgot, so I took over baked ziti with seven cheeses and a couple of watermelon pies.  It was a small turnout, but...they were happy campers, getting a good, free, unexpected meal!  (The pie was a particularly big hit!)

The "real" pot luck was tonight; I made a chocolate salted caramel cake and a hot three bean casserole.  Other offerings included Cici's pizza...again.  Mac & cheese from a box...again.  Captain D's fish, fries, and cole slaw.  Premade potato salad and salsa & chips from the store.  Chicken tenders from the supermarket deli,  Potato chips.

To be fair, there was a a home-made peach cobbler, and a guy brought a ton of home-made sliders that he made which were very good. Someone brought a pot of chili, but they arrived late, when everyone was pretty much through eating.

Do these people not know how to cook, or are they just lazy?   Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Re: Well, we had another pot luck at church tonight...

[ Edited ]

I think most are just very busy. And it's something I can relate to. When I was raising two kids and working fulltime, it was a struggle to get supper on the table, let alone cook for others.

Now that I'm retired, I once again have time to cook. I'm the one who will bring a homemade dish - or two - to a potluck. It's because I (finally!) have the time and I enjoy it.

Today, lots of people don't have the time. Plus, if they don't enjoy cooking or don't have that skill, they don't feel guilty about it. They just buy something and bring it.

I don't see this changing, modern life being what it is. Better to adjust one's expectations.

I belong to some groups, and some of them have adapted. One caters each monthly meeting, and those who come pay for the meal. In another one, we have our meetings at restaurants. One group has occasional parties, and the organization pays for the main dish, while members bring the sides.

There's still the old fashioned take-what-you-get potlucks, but they are apt to turn out the way you've described. That doesn't mean they can't be fun.

If you want delicious food, you might join a supper club. They still exist (at least where I live) and the people in them really love to cook and excel at it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Despite the fact some of the food was store bought.....there was a nice selection to choose from...why someone would come late might be they were at their job or some other issue came up....keeping them from leaving sooner....

I have to say that I have never been a cook...it was a struggle for me to put a nice meal on the table when I was married and my children were at home....four of us....to prepare food for a crowd would have overwhelmed me...I have never had an interest in learning how to cook...

That said...when I was invited to a party...pot luck...etc...people knew my limitations so they would have me bring things I could purchase...soda....snacks...the paper products...etc...I was happy and they were happy...

Esteemed Contributor

Some people do not enjoy cooking.

This topic reminds me that I am sick of baked ziti at get togethers. JMO

Valued Contributor

FunkyHulaGirl......I have never heard nor tasted Watermelon Pie.  Willing to share?

Respected Contributor

Bean Salad for the gluten intolerant!!?? LOL!

Actually, doesnn't sound like the potlucks I m used to, but you certainly contributed plenty,  and all in all, it sounds like everyone enjoyed it

but yeah, Watermelon Pie? i i like a chiffon?

Esteemed Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl wrote:

Do these people not know how to cook, or are they just lazy?   Woman Frustrated

It may be just the expense of cooking for a crowd. Every time I cook for a family gathering, it is quite expensive to put together a dish. Also, every time I make a decent dish, it is time-consuming. I always do cooking in steps. Even if I make a pot of soup, there are steps involved.

For the next pot-luck, why don't you put together a pseudo menu, and ask people to sign up for specific dishes?

Respected Contributor

I think that everyone contributed to the best of their individual abilities and all contributions should be welcome without judgment. 

Honored Contributor

I agree.  I think pot lucks are pretty outmoded these days except maybe for the older people who are retired and have time.  Who on earth who works has time to make extra food and then drag it around? 

Also, I have no problem at all with people bringing bought food to them--and probably prefer that if I think about it.  Anyway, is it about the food, or about getting together? 

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Some people do not enjoy cooking.

This topic reminds me that I am sick of baked ziti at get togethers. JMO

If you don't enjoy cooking then don't volunteer to bring food. I've never known a Church to force people to bring food.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval