Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT'S UP FOR LUNCH?

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, lunch was some of the boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce that you can find at Costco in the prepared foods counter, plus some leftover long grain and wild rice from the previous night's dinner.

The day before, it was just some leftover cooked spinach and roasted potatoes from the night before.  Later in the afternoon, I got the missing protein from a little bit of leftover tuna salad.

Often, breakfast might be leftovers from the night before, or microwaved Jimmy Dean potato/egg/sausage/cheese burritos that are found in the local grocery store's freezer case.   Not gourmet food, by any stretch, but easy to fix and convenient and not too full of calories.

It's hard for me to define what is breakfast and what is lunch, because I only eat two meals a day, usually.

Trusted Contributor

Lunch at my house outside on the deck with the ocean view with the girlfriends to celebrate a birthday. We had a salad bar type lunch.

Bibb lettuce, frisee, romaine lettuce, and spring mix

Smoked salmon, smoked albacore, jumbo shrimp, and fresh crab meat

Heirloom tomatoes

A variety of olives from the olive bar at the supermarket

Hearts of palm

Artichoke hearts

Chopped green onions

Homemade vinaigrette dressing

Homemade garlic and onion flatbread

Prosecco and Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio

Dessert was Panna Cotta with Balsamic Strawberries

Honored Contributor

Every once in a while I'll make a grilled cheese sandwich, or one of those fried egg sandwiches @Noel7 mentioned, but my usual go-to is some chicken (typically from one of Whole Foods' roast chickens) over a bed of green lettuce (different types like herb blend, or spring greens, or arugula, etc.).  Other veggies can be added to the salad depending what's in the refrigerator.

I've tried different dressings but since I use such a small amount, I allow myself to mostly use my favorite: Annie's papaya poppy seed.  It's the only dressing that I like that goes with so many salads.  But that's just me.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Lunch is usually leftovers for me..hard boiled egg and spinach with a  dressing,cottage cheese with veggies,sandwich,soup or a taco shell with shredded cheese fried snd some salsa and avocado.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

I had a salad today from Jason's deli.  It had all kinds of fresh veggies in it.  I used balsamic vinegar and a small amount of olive oil for dressing.  I don't eat any prepared foods. 

I heard the name Jason's Deli the other day. @winamac1 Would you mind telling me about this deli? The lady who mentioned was talking about the organic produce they use and something was special about the breads.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KALLIE wrote:

Lunch at my house outside on the deck with the ocean view with the girlfriends to celebrate a birthday. We had a salad bar type lunch.

Bibb lettuce, frisee, romaine lettuce, and spring mix

Smoked salmon, smoked albacore, jumbo shrimp, and fresh crab meat

Heirloom tomatoes

A variety of olives from the olive bar at the supermarket

Hearts of palm

Artichoke hearts

Chopped green onions

Homemade vinaigrette dressing

Homemade garlic and onion flatbread

Prosecco and Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio

Dessert was Panna Cotta with Balsamic Strawberries

Yum, I'm hungry right now and this sounds like a feast.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I had a salad today from Jason's deli.  It had all kinds of fresh veggies in it.  I used balsamic vinegar and a small amount of olive oil for dressing.  I don't eat any prepared foods. 

I heard the name Jason's Deli the other day. @winamac1 Would you mind telling me about this deli? The lady who mentioned was talking about the organic produce they use and something was special about the breads.

Butterfly--they are in certain areas of the country  They have great sandwiches and soups and a fabulous salad bar.  The salad bar is loaded with healthy vegetables and , of course, other items.  Many of their items are organic.  Google Jason's deli and see if there is one in your area.  I eat there at least once a week.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

And ketchup on my cottage cheese! (I know, it grosses my kiddos out, but that's the way I eat it.)  Anyone else?

Honored Contributor

Thank you @winamac1💜

Respected Contributor

I usually make a large batch of veggie soup on the weekend and that's my lunch for most of the week. I haven't tired of it yet and eat it year round not just in the Winter.