Valued Contributor

Planning to make chicken broth from the leftovers of a cooked chicken.  I had a thought of grinding the bones in the vitamix.  Has anyone done this? 

Trusted Contributor

My neighbor uses her Vitamix to make dog food and she grinds chicken bones in it with no problem. 

Honored Contributor

Do as you wish but I wouldn't grind bones in my Vitamix.  It's too expensive an appliance to risk it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't, I've ground bone in meat in my meat grinder though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat wrote:

Planning to make chicken broth from the leftovers of a cooked chicken.  I had a thought of grinding the bones in the vitamix.  Has anyone done this? 

I wouldn't do that,

I make soup all the time from chicken carcasses in my pressure cooker,

I know there is a whole bone broth thing going on now, 

I don't thing that grinding them up and ingesting them is good healtwise.

research it first.

I certainly wouldn't do it.  Heavy metals stay in bone

Trusted Contributor

Unless you are a giant grianding the bones of an English man to make your bread, I would avoid it.

Fe - Fi - Fo - Fum

Honored Contributor

Why do you add crushed bone to dog food? I don't have a dog so am curious. I wouldn't put it in the VM either. Maybe a food grinder but wonder if that would be fine enough not to stick in some vital organs when eaten. I make fabulous chicken broth after cooking a whole chicken in my pressure cooker.

Valued Contributor

I very much appreciate your comments and always get valuable advice here.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't put bones in my Vitamix.

But I did see something on the internet, people making fertilizer by grinding their egg shells, coffee grounds & banana peels in their Vitamix.   It comes out looking like damp soil.    Supposed to be good for the garden.    I have a black thumb, so don't ask me!

Respected Contributor

I think the Vitamix can easily handle chicken bones.  I wouldn't do any other bones though.  But chicken bones are fairly soft.