Trusted Contributor

Re: Tony Little Bison products

I wouldn't want all those additional items (hotdogs and such). But 100% pure bison burgers are really good. I can get those local.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/22/2014 Nightowlz said:
On 8/22/2014 willdob3 said:

Way back when he introduced the bison products I checked them out. Most of them contain ingredients I choose to avoid so I would not buy them. I think maybe the plain bison was OK & did not have those ingredients. I admit to being more picky about ingredients than the average person.

I do like bison burgers and have bought ground bison locally. I would not really want to buy pre-made burgers simply because they are even more expensive and I can make a patty myself. I also like to be able to use it for other things

I noticed some of those ingredients also. He raves about how much better his bison products are but have ingredients in them that make them not so healthy. The only one would be the all bison burger. Must have been the reason why when we tried his products that was the only one I liked.

I checked out some of the ingredients too- for the majority of the items in the ts, no way! I'll get bison from Costco next time I'm there!!

Super Contributor

The demos are a joke also. As far as the shrinkage on the burgers. He's comparing them to the 70% beef. Well, duh! You will have the same result if you compare 70% beef with a super lean ground beef patty. You don't need to switch to bison to get less shrinkage, LOL. Or to get grass fed or hormone free for that matter. I've eaten it and it's fine. but since it first came out, hormone free/grass fed beef as well as the bison has become available around here, so the novelty is no longer there for the bison. For me, anyway!

Honored Contributor

On 8/22/2014 iam4truth said:

The demos are a joke also. As far as the shrinkage on the burgers. He's comparing them to the 70% beef. Well, duh! You will have the same result if you compare 70% beef with a super lean ground beef patty. You don't need to switch to bison to get less shrinkage, LOL. Or to get grass fed or hormone free for that matter. I've eaten it and it's fine. but since it first came out, hormone free/grass fed beef as well as the bison has become available around here, so the novelty is no longer there for the bison. For me, anyway!

ITA. Who eats 70% beef anyways. That would be too greasy. I buy grass fed hamburger. The lady drives around in an old school bus with freezers in it with healthy meats & other foods. They finally opened up a location which will make it much easier to shop. You could only catch the bus here on Tues & Sat when the farmers market is open. I'm anxious to check out the store as they will be able to carry more items.

Respected Contributor

There are several places here I can get fresh bison meat and I'd rather have the fresh. Costco is one if you are ok to buy in bulk. Whole Foods is another (more expensive but you can buy just one burger if you want to). Both of those also sell bison steaks. Never tried the Tony Little but I'm not interested in the bison sausages, bacon, etc., and I don't need a pack of 40.

Respected Contributor

duplicate post.

Super Contributor

Ibb, I don't recall what the price is for the ground bison. It's a little more than the grass fed organic ground beef, but nowhere near $12 a pound. For that price I'd want to buy direct from the farmer and know it was organic, grass fee, AND grass finished.
Esteemed Contributor

I am going to try Bison, so went to the store today & it was $8.99 for 12 oz pkg. It says grass fed, no antibiotics. If I like it I will see what he offers in January for a tsv. He's just a salesman anyway. The ingredients say soy & milk are added to some products. Yuk! I would also worry about the meat being cold when I got it because it has to be trucked up here from Phoenix, then transferred to UPS.

I didn't see any Bison steaks, but we have a Bison Ranch about 2 miles down the road. I am going to visit them one day soon.

Respected Contributor

That's a lot of money for bison (IMO). I pay $8.99 for a package....probably 12-15 oz. or so. I can get 3 nice size burgers out of it.

My son likes it....I won't taste it.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

"Natural" is also used on chicken labels with really no value. It is government mandated to be "natural"

Bison is good and better for you than beef. IMHO. You just have to cook it slow and not overcook.

Tony's bison was good, but I have no interest in any bison other than steaks and burgers. I will pass.