Respected Contributor

Re: Those spiralizer gadgets???

[ Edited ]

Thanks @Gokat. I checked out the Dash one and I am going to check the larger one by Veggettini with the handle and see what will work best for me. I was just talking about having some shrimp in a salad tomorrow and never even thought of the zucchini noodles. I have to go to the grocery store in the morning so will pick up some more zucchini.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found some good sites online by typing in spiralizer recipes. We are spoiled by our gadgets but so love them.

I will post what new spiralizer I get. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

So from reading these posts, you don't boil the zuchinni spaghetti?  You are sauteing it in oil in a skillet, right?

I had no idea.  I thought you boiled it like you do spaghetti.

Thanks for any cooking advice!

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

So from reading these posts, you don't boil the zuchinni spaghetti?  You are sauteing it in oil in a skillet, right?

I had no idea.  I thought you boiled it like you do spaghetti.

Thanks for any cooking advice!

Hi @mima when I make zucchini with it I usually just saute it in olive oil and garlic and throw in a handful of parm at the end, delish!

I am still feeling my way through trying potatoes made that way as so far I have pretty much burnt whatever I have tried but I chalk that up to experience.  I think it's a nice little tool and really adds something to a dish.

Respected Contributor

@mtc, thank you so much for the cooking advice.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lol! You'd only boil it once, @mima .  Nothing like a little mushy zucchini to send you in another direction.  Woman LOL

I use it a few different ways....(thin spiral cut) just raw for a cold salad mixed with other veggies, fruits,  and/or nuts, or sometimes I just warm it spiralized in the microwave for 30-45 seconds before adding a heated sauce, and also sometimes do a quick saute in olive oil, garlic (as mfc related), add sauce (or not)...and grated parm on top. 

Had to come back to edit and add, @mima !  I remembered you mentioned you have a Skinny Minnie RC.  I hope that means you purchased Marian Getz' Rice Cooker book.  If you did, many of the recipes; i.e. Bourbon Chicken...chicken, pork, and beef recipes cooked in sauces, etc., are deliciouis over the spiralized zucchini as well.  HTH'sWoman Happy

I recently acquired an air fryer and that's opened up another avenue for spiralizingWoman Wink curly fries (oh my), curly cinnamoned apples...curly sweet potatoes...and just like the Energizer bunny...I'm still going. Woman LOL

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

@Gokat wrote:

Lol! You'd only boil it once, @mima .  Nothing like a little mushy zucchini to send you in another direction.  Woman LOL

I use it a few different ways....(thin spiral cut) just raw for a cold salad mixed with other veggies, fruits,  and/or nuts, or sometimes I just warm it spiralized in the microwave for 30-45 seconds before adding a heated sauce, and also sometimes do a quick saute in olive oil, garlic (as mfc related), add sauce (or not)...and grated parm on top. 

I recently acquired an air fryer and that's opened up another avenue for spiralizingWoman Wink curly fries (oh my), curly cinnamoned apples...curly sweet potatoes...and just like the Energizer bunny...I'm still going. Woman LOL

Oh my goodness @Gokat if you would care to share your success with spiralizing potatoes and air frying them I would love to know the details (what type of potato/temp/time) . . . mucho thanks in advance my friend!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're gonna looooove these, @momtochloe !!! Woman LOL

Air Fried Curly Fries

For curlier fries, use russet potatoes that are long and narrow rather than short and wide. If desired, keep the peels on for a more rustic look.

Ingredients:*

• 2 russet potatoes, each 14 oz. (440 g), peeled
  • 1 Tbs. canola oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Run the potatoes through the large grates of a spiralizer, using kitchen shears to cut the curls after every 3 or 4 rotations. Put the potatoes in a bowl, add water to cover and let soak for 30 minutes.

Preheat the air fryer to 360ºF (182°C).

Drain the potatoes and rinse well. Place on a towel-lined baking sheet and pat dry, removing as much moisture as possible. Transfer to a bowl and add the canola oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.

Place half of the potatoes in the fry basket and insert into the air fryer. Cook for 5 minutes, then increase the temperature to 390ºF. Pull out the basket and, using tongs, toss and stir the potatoes. Return the basket to the fryer. Continue cooking until the potatoes are cooked through and golden brown on the outside, 10 to 12 minutes total, opening the basket 3 or 4 times during cooking to toss and stir them. Return the fryer temperature to 360ºF and repeat to cook the remaining potatoes. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

*I pare this one down for one here, @momtochloe , but the directions are pretty straightforward.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.  My FIRST success in the new air fryer!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Gokat wrote:

You're gonna looooove these, @momtochloe !!! Woman LOL

Air Fried Curly Fries

For curlier fries, use russet potatoes that are long and narrow rather than short and wide. If desired, keep the peels on for a more rustic look.

Ingredients:*

Run the potatoes through the large grates of a spiralizer, using kitchen shears to cut the curls after every 3 or 4 rotations. Put the potatoes in a bowl, add water to cover and let soak for 30 minutes.

Preheat the air fryer to 360ºF (182°C).

Drain the potatoes and rinse well. Place on a towel-lined baking sheet and pat dry, removing as much moisture as possible. Transfer to a bowl and add the canola oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.

Place half of the potatoes in the fry basket and insert into the air fryer. Cook for 5 minutes, then increase the temperature to 390ºF. Pull out the basket and, using tongs, toss and stir the potatoes. Return the basket to the fryer. Continue cooking until the potatoes are cooked through and golden brown on the outside, 10 to 12 minutes total, opening the basket 3 or 4 times during cooking to toss and stir them. Return the fryer temperature to 360ºF and repeat to cook the remaining potatoes. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

*I pare this one down for one here, @momtochloe , but the directions are pretty straightforward.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.  My FIRST success in the new air fryer!Woman Wink

Oh @Gokat thank you so much for this . . . I am so making these today, yum!

Thank you again . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gokat wrote:

@MKR14 wrote:

@Gokat Hello. I have the Veggettini one but use enough to buy the one like yours. What brand did you get?  I saw a few I liked but didn't know which one to upgrade to. Thanks. I am going to do zucchini noodles for my lunch.

This is the one I purchased from the Southern channel, @MKR14 .  Just used it again last night for curly fries.  So much easier than the handheld one.  The blade discs stay right onboard, too.  $19.95 + $3.95 S&H.  HTH'sWoman Happy

DASH 3-Blade Spiral Slicer

454-188
DASH 3-Blade Spiral Slicer

I have the above one now too and it is by far the easiest to use. There is one more disc that comes with it and that one will make much wider lasagna like noodles.

Respected Contributor

Some recipe with no "Ingredients", @momtochloe !Woman LOL  Have no idea where they went, but edited/added above.  Woman Embarassed