Honored Contributor

The Kitchen Sink - new show on the Food Network

I just noticed a new show on FN today at 10 CST.  It's called The Kitchen Sink and Spike Mendelson from Top Chef fame is the host.  After glancing through the shows on the TV guide, it looks like each show will feature something different.  Today is pasta dishes using five ingredients, frozen french fries in a skillet and Katie Lee puts her spin on apple pie.  Next week is The Ultimate Party Menu and he'll be joined by Sunny Anderson and Vivian Chan who will have a dessert taco bar.

I'll be the first to admit he wasn't my favorite on Top Chef but in shows I have seen him on recently he seems to have matured quite a bit so I'll be watching today.

Respected Contributor

Re: The Kitchen Sink - new show on the Food Network

@momtochloe did this replace "The Ktchen"? I loved that show and it also had Sunny and Katie (and Jeff Mauro and Jeffrey Zakarian)??

I hope we didnt lose that one...

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@momtochloe did this replace "The Ktchen"? I loved that show and it also had Sunny and Katie (and Jeff Mauro and Jeffrey Zakarian)??

I hope we didnt lose that one...

Oh no @Mothertrucker, The Kitchen is still on at it's regular time on Saturday and will also be replayed at it's regular time later on today.

I had read about this show a few months ago that it would be a vehicle for Tregaye who won FN Star last time around.  She will be on today but it looks like they gave the show to Spike?  

Trusted Contributor

I tuned in briefly, but I have never been a fan of Katie Lee.  Perhaps I will try again next week if she is only a visitor this week and not a regular on this show.  I would really enjoy The Kitchen, but don’t watch it solely because of Katie Lee.  I watched her years ago give a tour of their home (back when she was married to Billy Joel) and she was so phony, uppity and her voice was so nasal…I could not stand it.  I tried to watch her again when she was paired with Tom Colicchio on the first season of Top Chef and could not stand to watch – again, I loved the show but Katie Lee was enough to keep me away that year.  Fortunately they replaced her after the first year, and even replaced her replacement the following year, and then came Padma…I enjoy Padma very much. 

I used to watch The Food Network a lot, like I did QVC, and then they changed in a direction I have not enjoyed.  New is not always better!  Now, it is so much of the same people (every weekend for years…it is nearly all Guy Fieri…I just will not watch).  Also, they have too many game type shows for me.  I really enjoyed the old true cooking shows.  I don’t want the drama of game shows messing with the relaxation of watching someone lovingly craft a meal out of everyday ingredients.  I don’t need the phony storylines they develop for some of the shows either, just the cooking mixed with tips/tricks, etc. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Well I'm not quite sure how I feel about this show.  Tregaye was much better than I remembered from FN Star and I agree with @Havarti as Katie Lee is not one of my favorites.  Unfortunately next week they are going to have another one that I struggle to watch that being Sunny Anderson.

The items presented were interesting and different but I don't think I would ever make them myself.  I'll give it a couple more weeks and see how it goes.

Honored Contributor

I was surfing through channels a little while ago and came across it.  

I don't think I lasted all of 5 minutes.

Honored Contributor

This had come out a while back and I started watching it.  But after that season of NFNS and they said that the winner was going to be hosting the show, I deleted it.   But it seemed to disappear completely after that.

If they did it and she isn't going to end up being on it, I would probably go back to watching the show.  It was barely on for a week or two before it disappeared.