Valued Contributor

Storing hot food in Lock and Lock

I got my 1st set of L & L bowls. Recent TSV. Can you store left over soup in them or left over warm spaghetti sauce in them and put it in the refrig. I thought I heard or read somewhere that you shouldn't put warm or hot food in them and put immediately in the refrig as the seal ends up not releasing when you unlock them and people have to pry lid off with a knife.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Storing hot food in Lock and Lock

I would let both the soup & the tomato sauce cool off before you put the L&L in the refrigerator .... I would follow this "rule of thumb" for whatever hot/warm food you want to store in the L&L.

Respected Contributor

I usually wait for food to cool to room temperature before putting it in the fridge to prevent bacteria from growing. I also do this with my L&L. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

I put the food in and sit it on the counter with the lid off.  I go back about a half hour later put the lid on and into the fridge.

Respected Contributor

I use them for storing hot and cold leftovers and don't usually have a problem. As the others have said, I let the hot food cool down before putting them in the fridge. Every so often a seal will stick when I try to remove the lid. When that happens, I just work my thumbnail between the seal and the container and it comes loose right away.

Honored Contributor

Be warned - I used the big bowl, handle with lid, to transport hot soup.  The heat caused the seal to open and I had a trunk full of soup.

My advice - let it cool first.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

If you put a hot liquid into a L&L bowl and tighten the top, there is a good chance the top will seal down, and seem impossible to remove.  I've had this happen a couple of times - don't do it anymore.  Let the food cool down and put it in the fridge without sealing down the top for a while.  After it's good and cool, seal down the top.  

Honored Contributor

I agree with the others here.  ALWAYS let the food cool before sealing it up in an airtight, liquid-tight, container.

The least that will happen, is sweating.  But the most that can happen is either having the seal become permanently affixed OR having it explosively release itself.

This isn't a Lock & Lock thing.   This is a 'sealing up hot food/liquids in a plastic container' thing.  Smiley Happy

Plus, if that weren't enough, if you seal up something like a hot spaghetti/lasagne sauce there is a good chance it will stain the plastic.  If you let it cool completely before putting it in there, you won't have staining problems.  I know this from years of experience.

Respected Contributor

Hot food will create a vacuum..Making it difficult to open till you are able to release the vacuum..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband "forgot" and put the lid on a leftover that was still warm enough to vacuum seal the container.   I finally used a sharp item to pierce the lid in order to release the pressure and open the container.   

I also do not agree with using Lock and Lock in the microwave, or using them as a mixing bowl.   My portable mixer scratched the bowl, and heat will bubble and permanently etch the plastic.   My family has ruined so many of my bowls reheating foods in the microwave.