Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to make mushroom broth when I collect enough stems.  How do you store mushrooms for  a long period of time?  Right now, I have the stems in a baggie in the fridge.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

In a brown paper bag and don't wash them first.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Frequent Contributor

Have you considered dehydrating?  I do on a slow Sunday in batches.  Store in vaccum sealed bag or container....or just in a mason Jar or spice jar.  Lasts a long time and you have mushrooms whenever you want for everything.

Honored Contributor

If you freeze them they'll turn to mush, which might be okay with you since you're making a broth with them.

You could always strain the broth.

Depending on how long you plan to store them, they'll rot just in the fridge for too long.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I generally cook and then freeze.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@HonnyBrown

Would you be interested in a recipe for Mushroom Soup?  The soup is creamy and delicious. It calls for 1.5 lbs. of mushrooms and would help boost your stem collection.

If interested, "just whistle" and I will post it for you in Recipes. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@HonnyBrown

Would you be interested in a recipe for Mushroom Soup?  The soup is creamy and delicious. It calls for 1.5 lbs. of mushrooms and would help boost your stem collection.

If interested, "just whistle" and I will post it for you in Recipes. 

Post away.   I love mushroom soup.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

In a brown paper bag and don't wash them first.

Thanks Kamerblue!  I wash the mushrooms whole and then remove the stems.  Why a brown paper bag?

Esteemed Contributor

@Scamper wrote:

Have you considered dehydrating?  I do on a slow Sunday in batches.  Store in vaccum sealed bag or container....or just in a mason Jar or spice jar.  Lasts a long time and you have mushrooms whenever you want for everything.

Great idea, Scamper, but I don't have a dehydrator.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

If you freeze them they'll turn to mush, which might be okay with you since you're making a broth with them.

You could always strain the broth.

Depending on how long you plan to store them, they'll rot just in the fridge for too long.

IG, mushrooms have too much water to be frozen.  I always strain my broths and stocks.

I don't even know how long it will take to collect enough stems for the broth, and I use about a 0.5-1 pounds of mushrooms a week.