Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sterling Silver Flatware?

Neiman still carries sterling flatware

While I still drool over sterling, I purchased silverplated flatware. Oneida, made in the USA then.

Liberty Tableware is the only USA made flatware still in production. The employees of the old Oneida plant purchased the facility and they turn out beautiful 18/10. Highly recommend them.

Silver must still sell, they recently added 1 pattern in silverplate.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your interesting contributions. 

Respected Contributor

@Mint2 wrote:

My parents received a huge set on a handsom satin lined polished wooden case over 58 years ago. I think it is sterling silver plated though. Do they make pure sterling flatware? Seems to me 100% sterling would be very soft and bendable. If so interesting.

Mint

Yes. I have a full set of Sterling Silver flatwear in a beautiful chest.  My British in-laws believed in using theirs for lunch and dinner.   Theirs were passed down a few generations.  

Valued Contributor

I recently inherited a set of sterling plated flatwear that dates back to 1946.  I would love to use it but looks like it could use polishing all the time. I don't have time to do that. Does anyone know if it stays  nice by actually using it and washing it on a regular basis than keeping it stored?

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We bought a set of Reed & Barton sterling flatware in the pattern "18th Century"  in the late '70s or in the '80s. We only occasionlly use it. Instead of buying the serving pieces in sterling, we bought them in the same pattern but in stainless.

Our neighbors at our previous house used their sterling flatware daily and even put them in the diswasher. Their philosophy was that they wanted to enjoy it, not stick it in a cupboard.

@suzyQ3

that is what we encouraged my mom to do. she wanted to purchase a new flatware set a few years ago. she was also considering selling her LUNT ELOQUENCE set of silverware......and she has a lot of pieces collected over the years.

she got rid of her mismatched flatware, didnt buy a new flatware set, and began using her silverware for every meal. it is nice to see it just doesnt come out a few times a year for special occasions. she just puts it in the dishwasher with no problems.

I don't use my silver every day , but when I do use it - I wash it in the dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hellokitty wrote:

I recently inherited a set of sterling plated flatwear that dates back to 1946.  I would love to use it but looks like it could use polishing all the time. I don't have time to do that. Does anyone know if it stays  nice by actually using it and washing it on a regular basis than keeping it stored?

@hellokitty I think when you use it regularly it doesn't need polishing. I keep mine in a silver chest. I have had it since 1967 and never had to polish it. The chest has a special lining. Oops, mine is sterling silver, not plated.

Esteemed Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

If you clean your pieces, store them in a properly lined silverware chest. If you don't have one you can get roll pouches at B B & B.

I only hand wash. Never, ever put silver/silverplate in the dishwasher w/ 18/10. You'll ruin the silver forever.

Super Contributor

Wow didn't know you could put silver in the dishwasher. Always thought you had to hand wash and then occasionally polish silver. I would have never thought. Thanks for sharing.

Mint

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann    About 25 years ago, when I worked at Replacements, Ltd., I purchased a service for 8 of the Wallace Grande Baroque from them.  It is absolutely beautiful.   This was not for my wedding, but I just had to have it because it was so beautiful.  I think it is still manufactured, but I could be wrong.  This set dates back to 1941 I believe.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@violann  When I worked at Replacements, Ltd., I purchased a service for 8 of the Wallace Grande Baroque.  It is absolutely beautiful.   This was not for my wedding, but I just had to have it because it was so beautiful.  I think it is still manufactured, but I could be wrong.  This set dates back to 1941 I believe.

Always one of my favorites @KatieB, my pattern is Internationalangelique which was a relatively new pattern when we married.

my parents gave us our first service for eight, and we bought the second.