Super Contributor

Re: Sterling Silver Flatware?

Around 1980 or so, I started collecting sterling silverware in the Tuttle Onslow pattern.  It was only produced from 1974-2003.  On the back of each piece there is a presidential mark -- the initials of the incumbent president at the time the piece was produced.  Through the years I've been able to put together a full set for 12 plus many unusual serving pieces.  I recently purchased on Ebay estate pieces of steak knives in the pattern!  I keep mine in treated flannel rolls that keeps them from tarnishing.    Interestingly, I purchased the Joan Rivers auction catalog and in it it states that Joan also had this Tuttle Onslow pattern.

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@violann    About 25 years ago, when I worked at Replacements, Ltd., I purchased a service for 8 of the Wallace Grande Baroque from them.  It is absolutely beautiful.   This was not for my wedding, but I just had to have it because it was so beautiful.  I think it is still manufactured, but I could be wrong.  This set dates back to 1941 I believe.

This pattern is still being produced in sterling and is iconic!

I would love to invest but I can't justify the cost.

Treasure your pieces. You'll be stunned by today's prices.

Honored Contributor

@BklynKinsey- that's what can really make collecting fun! Congratulations!

Honored Contributor

While you can wash sterling silver in the dishwasher, you aren't supposed to let it touch your stainless steel flatware.  The two metals can react to each other causing irreversible spots on both.  Here's an article with a few other tips:  http://hubpages.com/living/Can-You-Wash-Silver-in-the-Dishwasher

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

The first thing I bought when I was first on my own at 22 was a sterling silver Towle RSVP service for 12!  I was working for US Government in Germany and the PX was having a sale on sterling (not silver plate); such a good deal I finished off my Mother's set as well.  I was living in the BOQ and had no rent or utilities, and this seemed like an "adult decision".  I didn't get married until I was 40 but I loved having that silverware.  I still have it but haven't used it in at least 12 years.

Trusted Contributor

@KatieB, since you worked there, do you feel Replacements a reputable business with fair prices? I have a very nice set of sterling flatware that just sits in my safe deposit box, and I have no idea what it's worth or how to sell it. Any advice you might have would be much appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tuttle used to be all American. 

I have Kirt Steiff sterling.  Also, a set when Onieda used to make silver plate 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I have a set from Gorham called Edgemont Gold in sterling. In never put it in the dishwasher. If you use it regularly, you don't have to polish it.

Honored Contributor

I have two sets--a set I got for my wedding and my mom's set.  One is Chantilly, a fancy pattern, and one is more simple.  I use the simple set a lot and enjoy it very much.  Silver just doesn't feel like 18/10, and is almost a whiter and softer color.  I love it.

You can get sterling for pretty reasonable prices on e-bay if you want to fill in a set or start a collection.  Silver prices are not nearly as high as they were--they go up and down over the years, so buy while they are down.

You can collect for fun too--maybe match all the teaspoons in one pattern, forks in another etc. and mix and match!  You can pick up some great deals on e-bay that way!  Maybe you have sets of salad/dessert forks you love and use only for dessert.  Or teaspoons!  I have a bunch of iced tea spoons in various patterns that I've collected over the years.

I also have white linen napkins that don't match and have various initials on them, old Irish linen ones, that I just set out and let people pick their favorite for dessert in the afternoon.

Silver is not difficult to care for--you can get wipes that you use in an emergency too or the spray on wipe off stuff.  If you love it, you can probably afford it if you enjoy shopping around and colleting.

To me, it is a joy and a beautiful thing, and in a small way an investment.  Ten years from now that sterling place setting is worth more than a pair of shoes or purse you would buy. . . To me, it's my home decor.  And dishes.  Don't get me started on THAT!  LOL!!

Esteemed Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@KatieB, since you worked there, do you feel Replacements a reputable business with fair prices? I have a very nice set of sterling flatware that just sits in my safe deposit box, and I have no idea what it's worth or how to sell it. Any advice you might have would be much appreciated.

Search for your pattern on eBay. Look at listings and look at solds.

I sold an unused discontinued pattern of flatware/service for 4 just before the holidays and it fetched a great price. Pocketing most of my profits.

I dealt with Replacements once and I won't deal with them again. Expect to be offered 1/3 to 1/2 of their retail.