Honored Contributor

Stainless steel baking dish question

I bought a loaf pan to bake bread in thought I would try that for a change.

Made a one lb. meat loaf in it, put in bread crumbs, couple of eggs, onion the usual stuff.    Bake at 350

For some reason that thing liked to had never got done usually takes 70 min. I had it in there for 2 hrs. and it wasn't as done as I like them to be

Is SS not good  for oven baking? I always used pyrex glass loaf pan and meatloaf would be done in tad over an hr. This thing still didn't look like it was done enough and wanted to fall apart. Maybe 1 egg instead of 2?

Honored Contributor

Re: Stainless steel baking dish question

[ Edited ]

Hope someone has an answer.  My metal meatloaf pans are aluminum -  one bright and one dark.  But now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever had a stainless steel oven pan.

As for your recipe -  I don't think that's the problem although I pretty much always use just one egg, one piece of bread and whatever else I want to add for each pound of meat.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know about SS loaf pans for meatloaf.  I get best results by shaping the loaf with my hands & baking it on a sheet pan or cookie sheet.  Seems like loaf pans just steam the meat rather than baking it.

Honored Contributor

@Done Tryin  --- My favorite meatloaf pan has a sieved insert so that the loaf sits up out of the fat. 

Valued Contributor

I think stainless steel doesn't conduct heat very well.  My copper pans are stainless lined, but the copper does the work.  Like you, I bake meatloaf in pyrex.

Respected Contributor

I don't think the stainless steel pan is the problem.  Was the oven temp set correctly?  Is the oven reaching the temperature you set it to? (Use an oven thermometer to verify that it is.)

Honored Contributor

yeah, I thought I should had used just one egg too. I used walmart bread crumbs. Before I had always used pyrex glass loaf pan. I lined the pan with alum foil too. Maybe the foil , one to many eggs, and SS maybe kept it from getting done. Shouldn't take 2 hrs. for one , 1lb. of hamburger for a couple of people to get done. Dang thing wanted to fall apart.

I've been cooking for 100 yrs. still plenty to learn I guess. Put in refrig to make it solid we'll eat Sun. I guess.

Live and learn

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cooked it at 350' then when hubbo started hollering "when are we eating around here anyway" LOL I turned it up to 400. If his food isn't done he starts bellowing like a bear. LOL

I had just made choc chips cookies before at 350 and it worked fine.

Hope next time I bake bread instead of 20-25 min. it doesn't take hr to bake one loaf of bread after a preheated oven of 400  !

I'll throw that loaf pan out. LOL

Honored Contributor

@SharkE I always used to use a tin loaf pan, then a glass one. I now do what another poster mentioned. I form it freestyle on a broiler pan so grease drips down. Much better.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

yeah, I thought I should had used just one egg too. I used walmart bread crumbs. Before I had always used pyrex glass loaf pan. I lined the pan with alum foil too. Maybe the foil , one to many eggs, and SS maybe kept it from getting done. Shouldn't take 2 hrs. for one , 1lb. of hamburger for a couple of people to get done. Dang thing wanted to fall apart.

I've been cooking for 100 yrs. still plenty to learn I guess. Put in refrig to make it solid we'll eat Sun. I guess.

Live and learn

Only one pound of meat?  It sounds like an oven temp issue.