Frequent Contributor

Does anyone have a recipe for an awesome smoked turkey they'd like to share? Please and Thank You Smile

Honored Contributor

Are you going to smoke it yourself?

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I'll be using the Masterbuilt. I actually smoked one last Thanksgiving and it was pretty darn good. However I don't know what happened to the recipe that I followed {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

All I do is pour melted butter over the turkey and put in the smoker after preheating it, then, once an hr I add more chips. I figured out that 's how they get that pretty golden brown color if you don't pour the melted margarine or butter over it , it will take on that blackish brownish color which is fine, but, looks more natural to have the golden brown crispy outside.

(they don't tell you that in the presentation) LOL I'm gonna deep fry 2 for church on the 16th and then for us I'm gonna smoke one because it takes hours to smoke. I can deep fry 2 in 3 hours in the deep fryer. I learned something new the other day by watching the presentation for the 20th time. Before you dunk the bird, lower the basket in the hot oil first, to grease the basket, then, add the bird and that way when you lift the cooked bird it won't stick to the basket.

Thanks David !

Frequent Contributor
Honored Contributor

Recipes from Dadgum That's Good. Recipe for whole turkey & turkey breast below. We always make turkey breasts. I normally put pats of butter under the skin, rub down with olive oil & use sessonings like Herbes de Provence or some other type poultry seasonings. DH puts on the smoker. He does use the apple juice/water mixture. Last one he smoked was about 8 lbs & took 4 hrs 10 mins cooked at 240°.

Dadgum Good Turkey

INGREDIENTS:
- 50/50 mixture apple juice and water
- 1 whole turkey (about 19 pounds), thawed if frozen
- Butterball Buttery Creole
- Injection Marinade or your favorite marinade
- Butterball Cajun Seasoning or your favorite Cajun seasoning
- Seasonings and marinades

DIRECTIONS:

Option 1 (shorter cook time)

1. Fill water tray 1/2 full with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and water. Preheat smoker to 275°F.

2. Rinse and dry the thawed turkey. Using a marinade injection syringe, inject turkey with one jar of Butterball Buttery Creole marinade. Season outside and inside of turkey with Butterball Cajun Seasoning, rubbing it into the skin.

3. Place turkey on middle rack in smoker and close the door. Smoke for 5 1/2 hours or until internal temperature in breast reaches 165°F. (This total cooking time is for a 19-pound whole turkey. Based on the weight of your turkey, you will need to adjust the total cooking time. Estimated time at 275°F is about 18 minutes per pound. Make sure your internal temperature in the breast reaches 165°F.)

Option 2 (longer cook time)

1. Fill water pan 1/3 full with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and water. Preheat smoker to 225°F.

2. See Step 2 above.

3. Place turkey on middle rack in smoker and close the door. Smoke for 9 1/2 hours or until internal temperature in breast reaches 165°F. (This total cooking time is for a 19-pound whole turkey. Based on the weight of your turkey, you will need to adjust the total cooking time. Estimated time at 225°F is about 30 minutes per pound. Make sure your internal temperature in the breast reaches 165°F.)

Smoked Turkey Breast

Ingredients:

One Turkey Breast (we used a 7 lb. breast in this recipe), thawed

Butterball Buttery Creole Injection Marinade

Butterball Cajun Seasoning

Wood Chips for smoking (hickory, mesquite, apple or pecan)

Apple Juice

Water

Butter, Salt and Pepper (optional seasonings – see footnote)

Directions:

Fill the smoker’s water pan 1/3 full with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and water. Preheat the smoker to 240 degrees. Clean and dry the thawed turkey. Inject the turkey with 1/2 jar of Butterball Buttery Creole marinade. Season the outside of the turkey with Butterball Cajun Seasoning, rubbing it into the skin. (*See footnote for info about seasoning/marinade options.) Add a small handful of woodchips (we used hickory) to your smoker. Place the turkey center to high in the smoker and close the door. Add a handful of wood chips every 30 minutes. Smoke for 4.5 hours. This total cooking time is for a 7 lb. turkey breast. Based on the weight of your turkey breast, you will need to adjust the total cooking time. Estimated time at 240 degrees is about 38/39 minutes per lb. Make sure your internal temperature in the breast reaches 165 degrees.

* Additional Seasoning/Marinade Options: We highly recommend the Butterball Seasoning Kit with the Buttery Creole Marinade and Cajun Seasoning, but there are other options if you prefer a milder flavor. You can inject the turkey with the marinade of your choice or chicken broth. Season the outside of the turkey with salt and pepper, rubbing it into the skin. Place 5 to 6 pats of butter underneath the skin. You can also tuck several bay leaves underneath the skin.

Regular Contributor
I dry brine mine - using the Zuni Cafe dry brine method, then smoke at 225 till internal temp is 160 degrees....
Honored Contributor

I actually love the method of using thin cut bacon under the skin, you just loosen the skin and then try and get the bacon under there in one layer. It just dissolves while it smokes and you get great flavor. Other than that, smoking wood of choice, I like apple wood. Smoker at about 225 at the grate. I can't help you with electric smoker instructions. I've done it with both a weber kettle grill in which case you set up the charcoal for indirect with a drip pan in the middle under the turkey. Since the Weber has no thermal mass you need to add more charcoal about every 30 minutes. Since we switched to smoking in the Big Green Egg we no longer have to add charcoal during the cook. So it's just start up a load and smoke it.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Greenberg Smoked Turkey has been in my hometown as long as I can remember. About did them in when Oprah bought some and could not stop talking about it on her show. It is standing in long lines on the street here if you do not order online, phone or fax. Unbelievable good. Just a way to go if you want the best and want to spend your cooking time on dessert!! UPS delivers when you want it.

http://www.gobblegobble.com/

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor
On 11/4/2014 beckyb1012 said:

Greenberg Smoked Turkey has been in my hometown as long as I can remember. About did them in when Oprah bought some and could not stop talking about it on her show. It is standing in long lines on the street here if you do not order online, phone or fax. Unbelievable good. Just a way to go if you want the best and want to spend your cooking time on dessert!! UPS delivers when you want it.

http://www.gobblegobble.com/

LOL those prices are insane, smoked turkey is so easy to do yourself.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval