Super Contributor

Smithfield is a Chinese company- pleas choose your Easter ham wisely

http://www.richmond.com/business/article_06e60333-2ded-57f5-b650-72336d9a3f36.html

Smithfield Foods closes sale to China’s Shuanghui 6/22/2014

Respected Contributor

Re: Smithfield is a Chinese company- pleas choose your Easter ham wisely

Does this mean the meat comes from China, or the company that processes the meat here in the US is owned by a Chinese company?

Super Contributor

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Analysis/Outside-View/2013/10/25/Outside-View-Chinas-ownership-of-an-ico...

it appears the hogs are killed here, then sent to china for processing, then back here for distribution.

Contributor

Yes, just like much of our chicken is. It sounds silly but it's true. It's cheaper to do it this way.

Honored Contributor

I doubt it very much if the animals are raised and processed in China, does not seem like it would be cost effective. Smithfield can sell to any body they want, that's the American way. I don't usually buy Smithfield products.

Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2015 happygal said:

Does this mean the meat comes from China, or the company that processes the meat here in the US is owned by a Chinese company?

I'm not about to trust them either way.

They could easily lower standards at plants here in the USA too.

Super Contributor

The laws are worded so the meat (this also includes cooked chicken) is raised in the US, and sent to China for processing. then, when it comes back to the USA, it DOES NOT legally have to state it has been PROCESSED in China. It will say "made in America".

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/business/usda-to-allow-chicken-from-chinese-companies.html

Honored Contributor

I believe Smithfield products are raised in the U.S.; their farms and processing plants are required to follow US laws and USDA standards. Their parent company is Chinese. It wouldn't make economic sense to raise their livestock here, ship to China for processing, then return to the U.S. Just the same, feel free to boycott them.

Honored Contributor

Whether it's made in China or made in America or made anywhere at all - when the people in charge don't give a fig about anything but the money, there's no guarantee our food is safe. Same with drugs.

Overall, I do believe our food is safer, but I also know that we seen some doozies of problems from American producers.

Further, I always wonder when these discussions come about why the Chinese themselves continue to survive. Why don't their own bad production standards kill them off? How bad are things really?

PS- I'm not planning to buy anyone's Easter ham - just wondering.

Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/22/2015 happygal said:

I'm not about to trust them either way.

They could easily lower standards at plants here in the USA too.

I fully agree with Terrier on this one. I had ordered a Smithfield ham a year or so ago, but when I heard about the buyout, I cancelled right away.

Between this and the chicken issues, it seems more and more important to find a reputable local meat supplier. It will be much more expensive, but worth it in the long run. We have several in this area that are good, and I'm going to start checking them out.