Valued Contributor
On 3/22/2015 terrier3 said:
On 3/22/2015 Cinder63 said:

I was just thinking the same thing; how can the hosts live with themselves???

Imagine if QVC would do the responsible thing like selling humanely raised meat and poultry?

A friend of mine raised pigs for the first time last year. When the pigs were being placed in the van to go to slaughter, a worker punched one in the nose, giving the pig a bloody nose.

My friend took the pig back - and he's keeping that pig forever... he was screaming at the guy not to treat his animals that way. When he told the butcher about it, the guy was fired....it was a very responsible processor. He sold most of his pigs to a gourmet chef who uses every part of the animal...noting is wasted...he even serves pigs trotters!

I eat some meat, but really try to have locally sourced meat from people I personally know.

I would keep that pig, too, Terrier. It would be a matter of self respect, so to speak.

Contributor

Sunshine Kate - I am not sure but I think Perdue is not doing that! It's just crazy to me.

Honored Contributor
On 3/22/2015 Sunshine Kate said:

I don't buy ham too much, but if I do what is a good brand other then Smithfield? Maybe Hormel?

I would go to a local food co-op or a farmer who LOCALLY raises and slaughters their animals.

It's more expensive, but the taste is far superior and it's ethical.

I would rather eat LESS meat that was raised ethically than MORE meat that comes from who knows where!

Respected Contributor

Near here there's a big fight going on between folks in a suburban neighborhood and the CAFO pig farm that was set up recently not too far from them. I was on a bus trip last May and we traveled past the pig farm. It was immediately obvious why the homeowners were fighting this farm! The air stunk so bad folks on the bus started coughing and gagging and everyone was holding something up to their nose to block the smell. And we were through it in about 2 minutes. I can't even imagine not being able to enjoy our pool area, deck or yard due to the stench of this pig operation. Folks there say they have to stay inside their homes many times during the year due to this offensive odor.

And, that's not even considered the biggest problem which is the pollution of the water supply due to all the manure that is produced by 3000 pigs living on this acreage.

I also have seen the pictures of how sows are kept in tiny cages where they can't even turn around and just keep producing litter after litter. Pigs are supposed to be highly intelligent and we treat them like this??

Valued Contributor
My family hates anything labeled Smithfield. Even their hams seem so fatty compared to the brands that I now purchase.
Super Contributor

The crazy part of this meat processing in China is that there is no way to know where it is processed. It was written into the free-trade law that where the meat is processed is not on the label. It will say 'Made in the USA".

I believe the hogs and chickens are killed in the USA, and then sent yo China for processing. That in itself is terrifying. It is time to become friends with 4-H members in your community and buy local.

Valued Contributor
On 3/22/2015 Hooty said:

The Smithfield ham I buy is from Smithfield, VA .............. not China, thank you very much!!!

Chickenbutt, we will just have to agree to disagree!Smile

You DO now that is was bought out by a Chinese company???? Smithfield is now owned by a Chinese company since 2013...

I doubt it was done to raise their standards...

I do everything I can to keep money out of the hands of the Chinese.

I did not know that Smithfield was bought by a Chinese company -- not good. That explains a lot! Feel even better about my dumping Smithfield a few years ago. (I thought Smithfield products were raised in NC!!)
Honored Contributor
On 3/22/2015 HonnyBrown said:

Hi terrier, what's so bad about the brand?

Every humane society deounces them and their practices. Not to mention that since they were bought out by a Chinese company...there are plans to PROCESS the hams in CHINA.

This is all PRE-Paula....although I started disliking her when she became their spokesperson...obviously animal cruelty doesn't phase her.

And yes, I do eat pork...from a farmer I know who raises his animals free-range and has them ethically butchered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vqIGTKuQE

Paula will soon be on Evine trying to sell you dog food, probably with some schtick about how precious animals are to her.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment

This product is still being offered by QVC.   Why.  Look how it is produced

This is horrid product. http://factoryfarmdrones.com/

Respected Contributor

Is the Chinese/Paula Dean Smithfield Company the same as the "Smithfiled Marketplce " Company from Virgina that sells hams and peanuts, et.c.?