Trusted Contributor

SWEET ACT OF HUMANITY-A GREAT IDEA !

Have any of you seen or heard of this? What are your thoughts on this concept?

I think it is a fantastic idea !

The Pending Coffee.

Have a "fortunarte" day!   Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: SWEET ACT OF HUMANITY-A GREAT IDEA !

I like it!  But I'm always skeptical that some people who could afford to pay would try to take advantage of it leaving nothing for those who truly can't pay. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your response. Glad you like it as well.

There would have to be some type of selecting process when the servers/staff make coffee for someone. They would have to "fit the need" of the gift so all who are cheap and selfish wouldn't abuse it.

But I love the concept.Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

I have been very active in Food Pantry ministry for several years.  Any program to help people will be abused by those who chose to do so.  Myself and most I work with feel that it is our duty to do what we feel is right.  Anyone who abuses will be judged by someone much bigger than me when the time comes. 

Valued Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

I have been very active in Food Pantry ministry for several years.  Any program to help people will be abused by those who chose to do so.  Myself and most I work with feel that it is our duty to do what we feel is right.  Anyone who abuses will be judged by someone much bigger than me when the time comes. 

Exactly kitty60, I never give with rules attached

Respected Contributor

I think the concept is marvelous; however, I'd be leery of contributing to it for another reason, i.e., the staff.  I worked as an honesty shopper when I was a teenager, and am very aware of thievery at the first opportunity by store clerks.  That 'pending' money could easily never come close to the register drawer.  In line with that, who keeps track of how many 'pending' orders have been paid for and/or claimed? 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I like it!  But I'm always skeptical that some people who could afford to pay would try to take advantage of it leaving nothing for those who truly can't pay. 

If they do that then they have to live with it. You did the right thing and that is all that counts. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BaileyBop wrote:

@kitty60 wrote:

Exactly kitty60, I never give with rules attached

I don't give with strings attached, either as I leave the consequences to a higher power.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did state that even though I think this is a fabulous idea, some type of watchful control over the distribution of the coffee would be beneficial, and some think mandatory.

But the bigger picture obviously at work in this original story can be suggested here. Simply, that millions of people believe that when you give (donate) , especially money, you do it out of your heartfelt reasons for doing so and you don't worry or put expectations on  the conditions.

It's kind of like trusting God  to route it properly or be content in knowing how He will mete out punishment for those who don't play fairly.

For instance, when donating money to charities, you have no idea if it is misappropriated  or not.
You give with faith.

I think that is what is at work here in the original story .

It's a lovely thing when those who deserve it get it due to the generosity of others. Sometimes a warm cup of java can keep you sane, if not just warm and less hungry.

Blessings.

Honored Contributor

I'm in favor of any option or program (private or governmental) that will help people who need it. I would particularly endorse it for meals, but coffee is good, too.

And yes, no strings attached, no shaming, nothing. Just do it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland