Valued Contributor

I need every day dinnerware. I was wondering it anyone has tried her dishes. I went on the Walmart website and I saw a set I would be interested in. The only thing I didn't like about it was that she doesn't include any cups or mugs with the set. That drives the price up. But I liked her designs. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ree Drummond's Dinnerware

I haven't tried it, but I think in choosing new dinnerware, the most important thing to keep in mind (besides liking the print/color/pattern) is what quality you are looking for.

If you are looking for high quality, long lasting, strong ceramic or stoneware, this won't be it. It is in the same price range as Temp-tations, marketed at Wal-mart, and is most likely not going to hold up well with hard use or over a long period of time.

If you like to change your kitchen items frequently, like getting new and different, and enjoy the patterns and styles, then a less expensive, shorter lived fun change isn't the wrong choice for you.

I think just consider how long you want the product to last, what your financial commitment to a set can be, and go from there. 

Super Contributor

You only get what you pay for. If you want quality, you will have to pay more, but it will also last longer.

Valued Contributor

I can't help you with the dinnerware, but i did pick up these stoneware drink coasters w/ cork backing ($8.98) at Wallyworld. I think they are really pretty, substantial, and a great price.

Good luck with your decision : ) ~sue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I haven't tried it, but I think in choosing new dinnerware, the most important thing to keep in mind (besides liking the print/color/pattern) is what quality you are looking for.

If you are looking for high quality, long lasting, strong ceramic or stoneware, this won't be it. It is in the same price range as Temp-tations, marketed at Wal-mart, and is most likely not going to hold up well with hard use or over a long period of time.

If you like to change your kitchen items frequently, like getting new and different, and enjoy the patterns and styles, then a less expensive, shorter lived fun change isn't the wrong choice for you.

I think just consider how long you want the product to last, what your financial commitment to a set can be, and go from there. 

I looked at the Temptations dinner sets but the reviews were hit and miss with the quality and arriving broken.  At least with Ree Drummond's set you can return it to WM easily if there is a problem. 

I was looking for new dishes and considered hers, but I wanted something to match some old blue and white dishes I picked up at an antique store from the 50s.  I ordered one of the Johnson Brother's patterns from JC Penny on sale, the Devon Cottage print below.

Johnson Brothers Devon's Cottage 20-pc. Dinnerware Set

If Ree Drummond had a blue/white print similar, I would have hopped on board.  The only dishes that last a life time to pass down the generations are the ones you don't use often.  I didn't get china when I got married, I wanted something we would use and love and bring happiness every time we looked at it.  With kids and a husband, fancy doesn't last long no matter how careful you are unless your "staff" handle the dishes and the family only eat off them already set at the dinning table.  I'm not that fortunate to have that kind of life, so dishes that are easily replaced and didn't cost a bundle are for us!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, that Devon Cottage china is just beautiful @Tigriss!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't make a long story short, but will try.  I have long been a fan of just about anything in clear glass, especially dinnerware and serving pieces.  Many years ago, before we had a Macy's store in the Wash DC area, I  visited a Macy's in Atlanta and bought two 20-piece  sets of tempered glass dinnerware (diinner plates, salad plates, cereal bowls, coffee mugs)  It was ultra-inexpensive, not very heavy in weight--perfect!

Not only have we used those dishes daily ever since--even though I had a mega-sized set of Wedgwood everday dishes--,but I've since added to it with other finds........ nice big wide salad/soup bowls, square glass dinner plates,,  and other tempered glass pieces in other styles, usually at BedBathBeyond.

We've been using those original Macy's dishes and our newer ones  every single day since then..........decades of use with no breakage, no  worries about using in the microwave, not expensive enough to worry about whether knives scratch it up when cutting up meat or digging into your salad with a knife.

Right now, I notice Libby Glass has a set called Tempo that's available at BedBath.  It's very contemporary-looking in a square shape.  

The alternative I would consider is an investment in Corelle dinnerware, if you're just  looking for everyday pieces. (Corelle is actually a type of glass that has been subjected to exreme heat at the factory and is durable probably beyond compare.)

Like I said, I love glass, but it might not be for everyone who is used to china or stoneware.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio

You are incorrect, the Pioneer Woman dishes ARE stoneware.

You are also misleading about the price.  Walmart undersells everyone apparently.  Amazon and the Pioneer Woman herself sell them at a much higher price.

I have many sets of dishes, many.  Including a lot of Polish Stoneware, Lenox, Fiestaware and fine China.  I bought a couple of holiday pieces of Temp~Tations which I would never do again.

Temp-Tation dishes are NOTHING like those from Pioneer Woman.  

Honored Contributor

@hovis wrote:

I need every day dinnerware. I was wondering it anyone has tried her dishes. I went on the Walmart website and I saw a set I would be interested in. The only thing I didn't like about it was that she doesn't include any cups or mugs with the set. That drives the price up. But I liked her designs. Thanks.

Hi @hovis

As I mentioned, I have several sets of dishes including those from the Pioneer Woman.  I put up a line about them awhile back.  There were other posters who came and said they also had them and loved them.

I like the look of mixing the fun colors, you can make the design your own with tablecloths and serving pieces to go with.  Look online to see all of the pieces carried.  I have had no problem with chipping or cracking.  The online reviews are usually high with one exception, and that is a set of the floral dinner plates.  Look for reviews and you will see which set I am talking about.  

Walmart sells the various sets for about $15 for 4, and I think that is also the price for large bowls and mugs.

Honored Contributor

@hovis

One other thought... If you like color, you might want to look at Fiestaware, which comes in many colors.  You can also mix and match those.

Kohl's carries them and puts them on sale every so often.  If you are signed up to get a Kohl's discount card, you can also use that at the same time.