Respected Contributor

Recommendation re Frozen Pizzas

I live in a small town in AZ and our pizza restaurants are not that good.  At Safeways today I saw lots of frozen pizzas - so many brands -does anyone have a recommendation?  Some had rising crusts, thin crusts, we are not fussy just would like a pizza that cooks well and of course tastes good.

It would be good to gave one on the freezer for something quick.  Thanks for any help.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Recommendation re Frozen Pizzas

I highly recommend Tombstone Pizza and DiGiorno Pizza.  Both are by the same company. I always have them on hand in my freezer and won't buy anything else. 

~ It's a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys! ~
Esteemed Contributor

Kashi is good.  I think you have to find it in the "organic" section.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

They have really come a long way with frozen pizza. Any brand/type except for the off the wall cheapies are all pretty darn good. 

Respected Contributor

Those are my favorites too, but I don't care for the rising crusts.  Red Baron - not so much.

It's easy to make your own pizza.  The crust is easy and you can buy the sauce in a bottle.  I've even used french bread as the crust.  Just slice it horizontal and add whatever toppings you like and bake.

Respected Contributor

I like the freshly-made pizzas that they make at King Soopers (Krogers or City Market).  They're in the deli section.  I don't shop at Safeway so I don't know if they have their own, too.

Respected Contributor

The take and bake pizzas from store deli's are usual very good. DiGiorno is good. We add other things like mushrooms and extra cheese to frozen pizzas.

Trusted Contributor

DiGiorno Pizzeria, beats em all, IMO.  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

I always liked the Safeway store brand Open Nature for frozen pizza, especially its vegetable pizza.  But it's gotten harder to find since Safeway was bought by Albertson's.  Maybe the Open Nature brand is being phased out, which would be a mistake IMO.  Other good brands:  Dr. Oetker, Freschetta, and DiGiorno. 

Respected Contributor

my new favorie is called Screamin' Sicilian....they are really good.