Honored Contributor

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but speaking especially to those with small families - 

There is only the two of us, also.  What I do, when I want to make up some sauce, or a number of other things, is to just go ahead and make up a big batch.  If I'm going to go to the trouble, I figure that I might as well pull out the humongo Le Creuset pot!

After it has cooled, I will put it into serving size Lock & Locks and freeze it.  THEN, I pop them out of the containers and vacuum seal each separate one.  That, because it precludes the air from getting to the food, is the only way to store for a while because it won't have any break down in quality or flavor.   You can keep it for at least a couple of years in the freezer that way.

Then, whenever you want to use it you can either just 'boil n bag' it or remove it from the vac seal bag and simmer it until hot.  It will be as good as the day you made it and no ice crystals or freezer burn.

If my choice was ONLY  Prego or Ragu, I would absolutely choose Prego, however.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but speaking especially to those with small families - 

There is only the two of us, also.  What I do, when I want to make up some sauce, or a number of other things, is to just go ahead and make up a big batch.  If I'm going to go to the trouble, I figure that I might as well pull out the humongo Le Creuset pot!

After it has cooled, I will put it into serving size Lock & Locks and freeze it.  THEN, I pop them out of the containers and vacuum seal each separate one.  That, because it precludes the air from getting to the food, is the only way to store for a while because it won't have any break down in quality or flavor.   You can keep it for at least a couple of years in the freezer that way.

Then, whenever you want to use it you can either just 'boil n bag' it or remove it from the vac seal bag and simmer it until hot.  It will be as good as the day you made it and no ice crystals or freezer burn.

If my choice was ONLY  Prego or Ragu, I would absolutely choose Prego, however.  Smiley Happy

So true the freezer and living alone like myself is so useful.  My son made me Chicken spaghetti this week-end and sent me home with a ton of leftovers and I portioned out into four different containers to pull out over the next few weeks when I am in the mood.  My freezer is my friend.  Just this past week finished off some Easter left overs.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I make a big batch of homemade and then freeze it in meal size containers. I just can't eat the store bought stuff. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
Ragu, but I shop the sale flyers so if Prego is on sale, that's what I buy. Want to give the Aldi's brand a try after a previous poster mentioned they like it.
Honored Contributor

mtc wrote:

I am a huge fan of Rao's sauce (especially their Italian Sausage variety) and am bummed that I cannot find it in my area anymore . . . bummer!  Smiley Sad

@momtochloe

you can buy directly from raos with free shipping. they have a build  your own 6 jar combination for $52......or they sell in 12 jar packs also or 3 jar packs. you need to spend over $50 for free shipping.

walmart also carries raos if there is a walmart near you and they also ship. we have several specialty grocery stores in our area that carry it.

have never seen the italian sausage variety.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Just a note here, not everyone has unlimited freezer space.  Making a lot and freezing isn't practical in that case.  I freeze stuff in my lock and lock bowls and pop them out and vacuum in food saver bags.   I reheat in simmering water, works great, but then I do have a lot of freezer space. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Re: Ragu or Prego ?

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

I am a huge fan of Rao's sauce (especially their Italian Sausage variety) and am bummed that I cannot find it in my area anymore . . . bummer!  Smiley Sad

@momtochloe

you can buy directly from raos with free shipping. they have a build  your own 6 jar combination for $52......or they sell in 12 jar packs also or 3 jar packs. you need to spend over $50 for free shipping.

walmart also carries raos if there is a walmart near you and they also ship. we have several specialty grocery stores in our area that carry it.

have never seen the italian sausage variety.

Thanks @sunshine45, I didn't think to look at their website . . . thank you!  Smiley Happy

eta:  apparently they have discontinued my beloved Italian Sausage version of their sauce . . . bummer, it was delicious!  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Given those two, I prefer Ragu, as it has a sweeter taste to me. I usually add meat(s), fresh mushrooms, sometimes saute some onions as well. 

Meijer has a good house brand that I pick up when on sale. Lots of great flavors.

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I make a big batch of homemade and then freeze it in meal size containers. I just can't eat the store bought stuff. 

^ this. It takes minutes to chop up a few tomatoes or pulse with an immersion blender. No comparison.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Given those two, I prefer Ragu, as it has a sweeter taste to me. I usually add meat(s), fresh mushrooms, sometimes saute some onions as well. 

Meijer has a good house brand that I pick up when on sale. Lots of great flavors.

That's why I  prefer it over Prego. Super chunky mushrooms is my favorite.