Honored Contributor

I am a huge fan of Rao's sauce (especially their Italian Sausage variety) and am bummed that I cannot find it in my area anymore . . . bummer!  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

It doesn't matter to me.  I buy one of the "light" or "heart healthy" versions.  I then doctor it up myself.  I usually add more garlic, mushroom, zuchinni and green bell peppers all chopped up of course.

I then pressure cook it for 20 minutes or so with the browned hamburger to blend the flavors.  It tasted homemade and is thick and rich.

Honored Contributor

Ragu-for spagetti sauce

Alfredo sauce-none. They don't taste right. I use Knorr alfredo packet.

Honored Contributor

Like the OP I find making a whole pot of sauce to be too much for 2 of us. I happen to like the sweet basil sauce from  5 brothers.

Valued Contributor

In the past for many years Ragu was my favorite compared to Prego but more and more in the last few years I make my own marinara sauce with fresh onions and garlic and a few other spices (and red wine) added.

Super Contributor

@hovis wrote:

I usually make my own sauce or gravy (as some call it). But with just the two of us now and I want a quick meal I pick up a jar of sauce. I think I like the Prego better. What do you like and do you have a favoritite Alfredo sauce? Thanks.

Hi recipeholic,

We are in the same boat with just two of us.  We make and freeze our red sauce, but for Alfredo sauce our favorite is Giovanni Rana Alfredo, you can usually find it in the fresh refrigerated pasta section, it comes in two sizes.  We like it because it is not too garlicky and does not over power what you put it on and on the rare occasion we have leftover sauce, we put it in soups or mashed potatoes.  The Rana tortellini and raviolis are really good too.

tkins

Respected Contributor

Only Prego for us.  In fact, we won't even eat Ragu at all -- can't eat it.  

Respected Contributor

Newman's Own first, Classico isn't bad either.

Valued Contributor

I've never used jarred prepared tomato sauce.  I always make a large pot of fresh sauce and then freeze what I don't use for dinner in several Lock & Lock containers (there are only two of us).  I can decide to use it at the last minute and just reheat and let it defrost in a small saucepan on a low flame (or it can be defrosted in the microwave).  I do the same with soup.

Honored Contributor

Prego Mushroom and Bell Peppers.  All of their sauces seems to have larger ingredients than Ragu.  I do not like mushroom bits I want Mushrooms!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."