Honored Contributor

Jarred Alfredo sauce has a funky fake taste - learned that lesson so I won't buy it again.  It's simple to make it from scratch.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ragu or Prego ?

[ Edited ]

Of those two, I prefer Ragu.  The last time I tried Prego, which was years ago, i found it too sweet for my taste.  Mostly, I use Barilla & doctor it up, though I've used Trader Joe's Bolognese & a marinara from Costco that comes in a large two jar pack & has a white label, though I don't know the brand.

Honored Contributor

Neither. Just take a look at the sugar content of these brands! Who on earth wants a sweet tomato sauce? I only buy Mario Bateli maranara sauce because it has absolutely no sugar. Mmm good!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't pay a dollar for either brand.  Ragu has to be the worst on the market today.  

Honored Contributor

Neither I think they are both too sweet, I like to make my own.

We buy Colonna it's inexpensive and has the least amount of ingredients

Honored Contributor

We buy Aldi's brand.  It's pretty good!  

Not a fan of Alfredo -- doesn't agree with ma stomach!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Prego hands down or I will make my own if I have the time.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Neither. Just take a look at the sugar content of these brands! Who on earth wants a sweet tomato sauce? I only buy Mario Bateli maranara sauce because it has absolutely no sugar. Mmm good!

I've never had bottled sauce, but the sugar is probably to cut the acidity.  I know I add a little in my own tomato sauces.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Re: Ragu or Prego ?

[ Edited ]

@hovisOf the two you name, I prefer Prego.  If I do buy jared sauce, however, I get Classico or Bertoli which I think are closer to what we want for Italian sauces.

I love alfredo, but DH doesn't so I get that when I'm out.  It's really easy to make and we made the copy of Olive Garden's in my Basic Foods classes and it was fantastic.

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Olive-Garden-Alfredo-Pasta-Copycat-Recipe.html?printable=Y

Respected Contributor

Prego. I like to add a little extra canned salt free diced tomatoes or in the summer some peeled ripe tomatoes.