Honored Contributor

Question about the rice cooker

of Wolfgang's. Mine comes Thurs. Now, is the pot dishwasher safe?

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about the rice cooker

Yes, but it is SO nonstick that I usually just rinse it out and dry it with a clean paper towel.

Respected Contributor

I also handwash mine because it's so easy to do.  Handwashing and drying the two parts of the lid and the pot takes about 30 seconds. Then I re-assemble and put away.  I find that much easier and quicker than using the dishwasher.

Enjoy your cooker!

Honored Contributor

Thanks all !

Respected Contributor

Do not put it in the dishwasher... I and another poster each ruined an insert by doing that...And, like has been said, you don't even need to, cleans up in a breeze..

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Do not put it in the dishwasher... I and another poster each ruined an insert by doing that...And, like has been said, you don't even need to, cleans up in a breeze..

Thanks for mentioning that about the lid!  When I posted it was ok for the DW, I was only thinking about the insert.  The lid probably would warp!

BTW, I don't wash my lid very much because food doesn't touch it in mine.  I also store it with the lid laying on top upside down to dry good.

Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Thanks for mentioning that about the lid!  When I posted it was ok for the DW, I was only thinking about the insert.  The lid probably would warp!

BTW, I don't wash my lid very much because food doesn't touch it in mine.  I also store it with the lid laying on top upside down to dry good.

I thought that about the lid too, that it didn't get dirty cause food doesn't touch it...Then I pulled that inner piece out of the lid, and DANG....it was pretty gross....

Respected Contributor

The lid collects moisture in the gasket part and should be washed and cleaned each time. Last year I had a Lock and Lock have a problem. I opened my lid on one with brown sugar in and it smelled horrible like yeast. I threw the brown sugar (which was new) away and washed the lid and the smell was still there. It was the gasket. We usually took them out every other use and let air dry. Apparently it hadn't dried all the way. I threw the whole thing out. Lesson learned. I use a paper towel and just run the corner in the top and bottom of the gasket and it dries easily on the Perfect Cooker I have. 

Respected Contributor

I think we all have our particular "fetishes" or thoughts about what constitutes a thorough cleaning of anything used in the kitchen.  I seem to be fairly compulsive.  I would never put any nonstick appliance part or pan in the dishwasher,  in order to to spare the nonstick coating any extra stress from detergents, but I will hand-wash and dry it and then even leave it out to air dry for a while before replacing the lid.

I also do not own and don't want any little electrical appliance that creates steam in the lid, without being able to wash the lid along with any other washable parts.  Just because food doesn't touch the lid doesn't mean that bacteria aren't  incubating in the gasket and on the lid, caused  by rising steam from food or captive moisture from washing.

This is my opinion only and not a critical look at what others do.  I'm so extreme in this regard that I would not even want to own an uncoated, old-fashioned cast iron skillet that everyone else has used for centuries with fantastic success.   Knowing that I can't use soap to clean it just kinda puts it off my list of things to use.

All of my L&L containers go into the dishwasher top rack, but then get a long air-dry time to make sure no moisture remains around the lid gasket  I did pull out a L&L container one day that had moisture beads in it, and knew right away that moisture had still been  lurking around the gasket before I put the container away.  Lesson learned.

Respected Contributor

I just took my lid apart.  It is not gross at all.  There is nothing but water drops.  I did go ahead and disenfect it since I had it apart.

I would think the steam would kill any bacteria there would be every time you use it.  There would be nothing to grow.

As long as food doesn't come near the lid, I'm not going to worry about it.