Honored Contributor

QVC and waitlist, why they do what they do

I just received a note canceling a waitlist order. That happens. I know.

What I don't get is why they even put the item up for waitlist. It was never available (not like it was sold out), and they expect it in September anyway,, so why not just extend the waitlist? They do it all the time, extend the waitlist beyond the 45 days, when they know an item is coming, so why only sometimes?

I think they posted the item just to see if there was an interest, (and yes, they had to know it would be based on other sales in this line and pattern. Temp-tations harvest, 24 pc dinnerware) and if you are going to the trouble, and you know the item is coming, just extend the waitlist. Please.

Respected Contributor

Re: QVC and waitlist, why they do what they do

Waitlist items are often the items that people bought using the pay by check option but they never actually sent the check in.  Sometimes QVC "expects" another shipment but there's no gaurantee.   I'm sure that some people on the waitlist did get the item but as is true with all waitlists everywhere, some people are going to be left out in the cold.  It's the nature of a waitlist.  I hate being disappointed, so I never do waitlists.  If I order something, I want to know that it's on it's way to my house. 

Valued Contributor

I ordered a designer clothing item that was waitlisted.  After waiting almost the entire WL period for this item, I got the letter notice AFTER they deleted it from my Order Status.  Then within a day or two it was back in stock, but at a higher price point.  I felt they didn't want to fill my WL order at the lower price.

Honored Contributor

I think waitlists are filled from customer returns, period.  New shipment means new item number or new price and all waitlist gets cancelled .  All this stuff is done with  computer programs set up well in advance. 

Respected Contributor

I believe you're essentially correct.

However, I also feel some orders never get sent out--if checks are not sent in, for example.

Wait list is a gamble!

Respected Contributor

I think when they cancel a long standing waitlist, the vendor either decides it's not going to sell the product here or is not willing to sell it at the cost of the waitlist.   I have a waitlist since Jan.  So far it hasn't been cancelled.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I cannnot answer why they do that . The other posters explanations sound reasonable . I have had varied responses when on one. A pair of D&C pants were sent about 2 weeks in. A skort was sent at the end of the day I ordered. I canceled a SG top just a little before the 45 days as I got tired of waiting. I sent back an AC that had a bent ground wire plug (YIKES) and was put on a waitlist , then e-mailed a ? as to whether it would be back in supply soon as we really needed one and they told me honestly they couldn't supply it ( I appreciated their being honest). I guess it is a gamble.

Honored Contributor

I had once received a waitlist order 7 months after I placed it.  It was for this neck massage pillow.  After 5 months I cancelled the order.  But then a couple of months later, here it is.....

Honored Contributor

I think sometimes they do not get enough returns to fill the waitlist orders.