Respected Contributor

Pressure Cooker Baby Back Ribs - what did I do wrong?

Made two racks in the Ming Tsai Electric Pressure Cooker using the Bob Warden BBQ rib recipe and they didn't come close to being tender/falling off the bone.

The recipe called for a rub, 15 minutes at high pressure w/liquids,let pressure drop naturally for 15 minutes and then grill/oven with sauce for 15-20 min.  They were still good, but chewy.  I was hoping for the QVC TSV pressure cooker demo result.  Maybe the MT doesn't cook at high enough pressure?

Anyone with a foolproof (that would be me) recipe for falling off the bone ribs in the pressure cooker, or should I go back to slow cooker?

Denise
Honored Contributor

Re: Pressure Cooker Baby Back Ribs - what did I do wrong?

I've never made ribs in mine but I do love to pressure cook and enjoy Miss Vickie's website.  This is a recipe from her pressure cooking book adapted by the author of this article:

http://www.food.com/recipe/bbq-baby-back-ribs-pressure-cooker-371326

It looks like she uses the quick release method after the initial cooking is done.

Hopefully someone with experience will also add to this thread but I have used Miss Vickie's site more than once to explain to me what I did wrong in cooking something . . . Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting this recipe.   I've used a stove top PC for years and ordered Sunday's TSV.  It came in turquoise and I couldn't resist.  I'll try ribs right away

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Thanks for posting this recipe.   I've used a stove top PC for years and ordered Sunday's TSV.  It came in turquoise and I couldn't resist.  I'll try ribs right away

Oh thanks, I hope you enjoy pressure cooking!  I know I do and am so glad I took the plunge!

Like I said, I couldn't recommend Miss Vickie's site more.  She has really down to earth advice (I kept having a problem with still tough food but after working through her site I realized what the problem was and corrected it).

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did you use 2 cups liquid? I looked up the manual online & it shows 2 racks baby back ribs, 2 cups liquid, 20 min cook time. I looked for a few mins for the psi on this pressure cooker. I did not find it. I don't know why they don't disclose this info. Why is it such a big secret? I found I needed more liquid then what they show when they are selling pressure cookers.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry Nightowlz but I didn't actually make the ribs but I found the recipe and the instructions were different from the other recipe so I thought it would be helpful.

I am kind of surprised to hear that PC's don't tell you what the PSI is either on the PC itself or in the user manual.

When I had my first one (CE) it had the PSI right on the display and now that I have an InstantPot I am pretty sure that it's stated in the manual.

It's an important part of the cooking process and again I find it kind of baffling . . . Smiley Sad

Frequent Contributor

I use that exact same recipe for my ribs, but I cook them for 18 min instead of the 15 as the recipe states. The first time I made them I followed the recipe, time wise, and I felt the ribs were chewy, so after adding the additional 3 minutes now they are fall off the bone tender! And yummy!!!

I read online where some people even cook them for 20 minutes, so you may want to just add some extra time.HTH

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Did you use 2 cups liquid? I looked up the manual online & it shows 2 racks baby back ribs, 2 cups liquid, 20 min cook time. I looked for a few mins for the psi on this pressure cooker. I did not find it. I don't know why they don't disclose this info. Why is it such a big secret? I found I needed more liquid then what they show when they are selling pressure cookers.

Bob Warden's recipe called for 1-1/2 cups liquid.  I think I'll take Ottosmommy's advice and run it longer next time.

Thanks to all for your replies!

Denise
Regular Contributor

I believe you just need to add a few more minutes to the cooking time.   I often cook ribs in the pressure cooker and I do them about 20 minutes and then throw them on the grill is "crisp" them a bit.  They always fall off the bone.  Also for those that were wondering the PSI on the recent 6 qt cooker is 12psi.  I found this in the online manual posted on qvc. It's listed in the " before first use" section. Hope this helps😃

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

Mine is the old Techniques model..high is 15 psi...do you think 12 is the new "normal". I think mine was made by Nesco....