Honored Contributor

Pizza stones are invaluable for many baking tasks, but they must be used right to get the optimal results. To use one correctly you must preheat the stone for an extended time so that the full mass of the stone is at the preferred temperature. Depending on the thickness/composition of the stone this can take thirty minutes to an hour. Only when the full mass of the stone is at the preferred temp will the stone give optimal results. Metal pans can also give that initial rush of heat, but most metal pans lack the necessary mass to retain that heat. Most pizza stones have that mass and are more efficient at transferring that heat. If you heat up a pan and pizza stone in an oven and then remove both, you'll find that the pan quickly drops to room temp while the stone loses the heat much more gradually and will still be hot long after the pan is cool.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I have been through at least 3 or 4, they are great but won't buy another

Honored Contributor

I'm curious as to who reported my post and why. There was no reason for it to be deleted.

I simply recommended the Emile Henry brand (outstanding brand) one that I have. It doesn't take any special care and works beautifully.

Honored Contributor

Shop HQ aired one last night for about $80, looked wonderful.

Contributor

Pizza stone is a must for baking good pizza, but we have moved on to a Pronto Pizza oven. Love it! It is a fun new toy. There is another item that is worth exploring and it is the Mighty Pizza oven - a piece you can use on your BBQ. We are going to Hilton Head in March and will take our Pronto - the Italian family get together will be so much fun and making pizza appetizers will be great.

Contributor

I have the Pampered Chef ones, and love them. They keep the pizza hot so much longer than a metal pan. The one thing to remember is to not set the hot out of the oven stone onto a cold-cool surface. I use a wire rack for mine. I did break my first one, but I dropped it, and it split in half. It is still usable with the wire rack and since I am now 1… I often cut my frozen pizza in half and just cook part of it, and use the half stone. Waste-not, want-not! Also, you can use the for baking cookies, yeast breads and roll. Lots of other things.

Frequent Contributor

Over the years, I've gone through 4 pizza stones...all cracked! I've been using the Aero-pan for about the last ten years or so and love it in comparison to any of the stones. Make sure to use parchment paper to prevent your dough from drooping through the holes in the pans if its going to sit for some time before going into the pre-heated oven.

This doesn't cause a problem as I have 4 of them to use and I use them one at a time. Generally taking 12-15 minutes each in a hot oven.

Enjoy!

Camo

Trusted Contributor
On 1/30/2014 chickenbutt said:

I'm curious as to who reported my post and why. There was no reason for it to be deleted.

I simply recommended the Emile Henry brand (outstanding brand) one that I have. It doesn't take any special care and works beautifully.

Wow.......not sure what your post had, but can not imagine that YOU would say anything that would be deleted........especially considering that the Q carries the Emile Henry.........{#emotions_dlg.confused1} That was a stupid move..........Wink

Emile Henry 14 Round Glazed Pizza Stone - K37639

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Contributor
I bought one at a restaurant supply store and have had it for years. I love to use it when making pumpkin pie. Baking the pie plate directly on the preheated stone keeps the bottom crust from being soggy. It would work with any pie I'm sure.
Frequent Contributor

I bought a pizza stone from the ""Pampered Chef"" several years ago and it is of fine quality and has served me well.