Honored Contributor

I quit cooking when my elderly mother (who had dementia) decided that I was trying to poison her.    She would only eat take-outs..............

That was years ago, but I never resumed cooking for myself.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

-- just not interested in the mechanics of meal planning, grocery shopping, the actual cooking process and clean up.  

This equals lazy in my book.  I can see simplifying meal prep if there's only one or a couple but someone unwilling to make any effort who cries, "I can't cook", is just lazy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I quit cooking when my elderly mother (who had dementia) decided that I was trying to poison her.    She would only eat take-outs..............

@Desertdi  What do you eat?  I find that restaurants and fast food get very monotonous.  I can take a few minutes to assemble a simple casserole and eat it for several days.  Easy.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi  What do you eat?  I find that restaurants and fast food get very monotonous.  I can take a few minutes to assemble a simple casserole and eat it for several days.  Easy.

@Kachina624   Safeway's deli used to be my "go to".........but since Cerberus bought them out, it's gone to H---.    I just "might" have to go back in my own kitchen........!   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624   Safeway's deli used to be my "go to".........but since Cerberus bought them out, it's gone to H---.    I just "might" have to go back in my own kitchen........!   

@Desertdi  Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Respected Contributor

I Know how to cook, enjoy shopping, and don't mind cleanup. I don't eat very much anymore. I had Gastric Bypass in 2010. I also live alone so there is no one to eat the leftovers. My breakfast is cottage cheese and fruit. I boil eggs.I have salads, pick up a deli chickened at Costco,and use a steam microwave bag  for veggies. I try to not cook because food is not important to me. But I do cook for friends and family.I read the threads here about food, and do make recipes from posters. I try do it as little as possible though. 

Valued Contributor

After 49 years of marriage I don't cook for my husband.  I loved to cook and bake and nothing was hard for me.  I spent a lot of time in the kitchen doing what I loved.  Even when I worked outside the home I got home at 6 and had a from scratch meal ready at 8.  When I had kids I stayed home and dinner was at 6 each night including holidays. Have no family here.

My husband has always been a picky eater and let it be known if something just wasn't like he thought it should be.  Never a thank you.  He retired 10 years ago and I thought I would get some help in the house.  It only seemed fair.  I still cooked every night and we never ever went out to a restaurant.  Once in awhile I would pick up something for me but he wanted a home cooked meal.  Said I cook better than any restaurant.

So two years ago I was very sick, on two antibiotics, and I had no energy.  I would make dinner but I didn't have my heart in it.  I was going through the motion.  I did complain, I admit I did.  One night while making dinner he said he's tired of me complaining and said don't cook for him anymore.  So it's been two years and he makes his own meals.  I make mine, which are very healthy and he makes fatty meals.  He took some of my recipes and made them.  He doesn't make for me and I don't make for him.  I clean up after myself and he cleans up after himself.  This was all his idea and after 47 years I just said great I'm not cooking anymore.  I loved to bake too and now I rarely will  make a cake.  It's nice not having to have a schedule to have a meal on time. 

My daughter never learned to cook before she married but can cook now.  She has no interest in cooking but will cook for the kids.  My granddaughter is 17 and she has no interest in cooking either.  Guess I'm the last one to make mom's meals.  I grew up in a different time and now the younger girls don't seem to like to cook. 

I don't buy frozen meals and make my meals from scratch.  I make my own homemade pizza too.  Meals from the store have too many preservatives in them so I will cook for myself,  I told my husband he should consider it an honor that I'm here to help him if he doesn't know how to cook something.  Who knows one day I may be gone and he can take care of himself.  I did notice if I make a suggestion he will get very defensive so I say nothing.  He'll learn from his mistakes. I clean the house and shop but would love to do away with that too but someone has to do it. 

Valued Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

I try to not cook as often as possible. Summer is when I try even harder to not cook.

And most days, I succeed!

Honored Contributor

I only know one person who doesn't cook at all.  He prefers to sponge off others when he can or eat out.  I can't understand anyone not wanting better than retaurant or take out.  I don't cook 3 meals a day and since retiring do eat out or get takeout more now but I want certain dishes that I just do not like in restaurant or frozen foods.  There are very few places that I will eat certain things amd I want only what I make.  People who do not want to cook should just say they don't want to as anyone can cook to some degree and cooking some things is not hard if they want to!  It's their preference doesn't make them lazy and no awful crime!!  For me, it's more effort to have to go out and often have to wait for a table or decide where to go to eat or get takeout.  I was never actually taught by my mother who was the best cook but I couldn't help but see and remember how she did things.  

Honored Contributor

Nothing like a good home-cooked meal!  However -- I really don't want to be the one to do it!  LOL!  I didn't say I wouldn't do it, or couldn't do it, I just don't particularly want to do it!  

For me, it is such a drag to work all day and then have to come home, dead tired and put a meal together.  Since DH had to retire a few years ago, he took over the evening meal.  What a blessing!  It is such a relief to come home and have a meal ready to eat and he even does the clean-up!  

I never cooked much when I was young.  We had many cooks in the house.  My mother was a wonderful cook, my sister cooked, my father cooked.  I usually had to do prep work and clean-up.  Yuck!  

After I moved out on my own, I rarely cooked and never had a knack for it.  I think some people just have a natural ability for it.  Like my mother.  She can no longer cook, and I miss her food so much.  Everyone that came to our house exclaimed that they never had food that tasted so good!  

I, personally, could never make a steady duty of fast food.  I think it's o.k. occasionally, but it's generally speaking not that healthy and would get old really fast!

And for me - eating out is for special occasions.  Plus, it's so expensive.  Who can afford it all the time?  Not me!!! 

I always said if I ever had the privilege of retiring, I would like to insert myself in the kitchen and educate myself more on culinary matters -- making meals from scratch, experimenting - taking my time --- and really enjoying the experiece.  

I do love to bake, but I never seem to find the time.  

I think cooking can be a very pleasurable experience if one has the time, patience and inclination.  And it's better if its a shared endeavor, both in the preparation and in the consuming of the finished products!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin