Respected Contributor

Does anyone here use a pancake cooker?

I don't have any non-stick pans, so I can't make pancakes.

Just wondering how you're making them ....

??

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I never did, but my mother made pancakes for years and years before there were any non-stick pans.  She had a large round heavy skillet (not cast iron, but definitely heavy) and she'd put a small bit of solid Crisco on a bit of waxed paper to grease the hot pan before pouring on the batter rounds.  Her pancakes were always good.

BTW- she used to make hundreds of really thin blintz crepes without any non-stick pan.

I'm sure today's surfaces make life in the kitchen easier.though.

Esteemed Contributor

We used an electric skillet.  I left for work before the children did so they could turn on the skillet (it controls the temperature), go take a shower, get dressed then make themselves pancakes for breakfast.  Nobody had to worry about the pan getting too hot and starting a fire.  Hungary Jack has packets that you ad water and make 4 small pancakes.  Just right for a child's breakfast!  That skillet was a lifesaver at our house!

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

She had a large round heavy skillet (not cast iron, but definitely heavy) and she'd put a small bit of solid Crisco on a bit of waxed paper to grease the hot pan before pouring on the batter rounds.  Her pancakes were always good.

That's encouraging.  I'll try using one of my SS pans & some oil and see how it goes.

Thanks!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

You don't need a nonstick pan to cook pancakes, or a pancake cooker. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

We used an electric skillet.  I left for work before the children did so they could turn on the skillet (it controls the temperature), go take a shower, get dressed then make themselves pancakes for breakfast.  Nobody had to worry about the pan getting too hot and starting a fire.  Hungary Jack has packets that you ad water and make 4 small pancakes.  Just right for a child's breakfast!  That skillet was a lifesaver at our house!

How did you prevent them from sticking in the pan?

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

You don't need a nonstick pan to cook pancakes, or a pancake cooker. 

ok. good 2 know.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pancake Cooker?

[ Edited ]

The electric skillet was non stick.  The best part was the temperature was always just right to cook pancakes perfect.

True, you don't need non-stick or electric.  It was just easier and safer that way for us. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pancake Cooker?

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

Heat the pan to the correct temperature and don't add the food until it reaches it. Then don't try and move the food before it's cooked. It will release when it's ready. Using butter for flavor is nice also. I don't buy pancake mix, and my recipes always include some fat as that makes a tender pancake that tastes good. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I season a non stick pan with olive oil- I use a paper towel to be sure it's disbursed over the entire surface. Works great!