Contributor

Paging Bakers: HELP With Meringue for Cream Pies

I seem to have really flubbed on making my chocolate cream pies. I made them ahead of time intentionally wanting them to have plenty of time to set up to slice well, as well as to not have the meringue have a chance to weep before serving.

I saved the egg whites for the meringue to make for them today. I have them setting out to get to room temperature. It's been quite some time since I've made a meringue-topped pie so did a search to determine how long they would need to be in an oven to get the meringue browned. I didn't realize or recall that, according to every search I have done, it says to "put meringue immediately onto HOT pie filling" (and it) "helps cook the meringue from the bottom up". With that opportunity blown, can I still use meringue for the pies and how do I get the meringue "cooked" without undoing the set-up of the cold pies?

I had planned on putting them into a very hot oven just long enough to brown the top of the meringue but now I am concerned about the statements of "cooking" the meringue. Any suggestions will be so appreciated. Is my face red or what? I think I need to retire my apron!

{#emotions_dlg.blushing}