Esteemed Contributor

I have a question regarding stained/etched plasticware.  Be it Lock 'n Lock, Systema, whatever, I always manage to stain/etch them in the microwave.  I have read that you should not keep them once stained/etched.  My cousin told me, it would be foolish to throw them all out as once washed on sanitize they're safe. 

What's your opinion?

Honored Contributor

Hi!  Aside from my opinion that I don't put that type of plastic in the microwave, because I know - ever since the days of Tupperware - that that type of plastic will stain, pit, and peel, I don't see a problem with using it particularly if it is BPA (and all that) free plastic.

In the past, I've used stuff like that without problems.  Now that I don't put that type of plastic in the microwave, I don't have any that are stained, pitted, or peeling, anymore.  But nowdays, ONLY with that which is BPA-free, it's probably even less problematic.

HTH and sorry for the run-on sentence.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

My opinion?   I'm in the process of replacing all of my plastic with glass.    Now, I transfer items from the plastic to a glass pie pan for re-heating.   I may cover it with an old lid, not currently in use or a paper towel, depending on what I'm re-heating.

I don't trust any plastic, stained or otherwise in the microwave.

You asked!

@eddyandme wrote:

I have a question regarding stained/etched plasticware.  Be it Lock 'n Lock, Systema, whatever, I always manage to stain/etch them in the microwave.  I have read that you should not keep them once stained/etched.  My cousin told me, it would be foolish to throw them all out as once washed on sanitize they're safe. 

What's your opinion?

Trusted Contributor

goldenlocks, I don't have an answer for you, but like yours, my systema and lock n lock look badly stained after using them in the microwave. I'd like to toss them, but that's pretty much throwing away a lot of money. I hated the look of them, so I switched to the glass variety. such a relief I tell you. no stains and a whole lot easier to wash. oil washes off much easier too!

Esteemed Contributor

What I have heard is that if they are stained they are still safe to use. I keep the same ones for tomato sauce, etc. If the container is etched then it is no longer food safe. I repurpose mine around the house for crafts, nuts & bolts, sewing items, etc. Thye make great containers for all those bits and pieces that jam a "junk" drawer.   

Honored Contributor

They have microwave safe plastic on amazon.

Honored Contributor

The only plastic that I would use in the microwave is the type of hard plastic like Tupperware's Rock n Serve.  You can see from the pic I will load below that it's a different kind of plastic than much of Tupperware, or Lock & Lock, and many other types that are made of the 'other' type of plastic.

I have several pieces of TW Rock n Serve that I've used for many years in the microwave and you'd never know they weren't brand new.  I know this is an older line, but you can still get them.  Of course, most of mine are either the black, as shown, or red or clear.

twrocknserve.jpg

Honored Contributor

I don't put my L&L in the microwave, and I have never had a problem with staining. And yes, we do put all sorts of "staining" type foods in our containers.

That said, I cannot fathom a reason that a stained container would be unfit for use.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I store food in plastic but I re-heat in microwave in glass.  I have both.  I had problems with L&L with tabs breaking so I purchase storage containers at Costco.  

Super Contributor

goldenlocks, 

You wrote "I have read that you should not keep them [plastic containers] once stained/etched." May I ask where you read that and are you sure it was from an authoritative source? There's a lot of information on the Internet and much of it reflects the opinons of people - that doesn't make it accurate. Even here you're asking for our opinions. Will you make your decision about keeping or not keeping plastic containers based on our opinions? Unless one of us has authoritative knowledge about this issue, it doesn't matter what we think. It doesn't even matter if the majority of us think it's fine to use the containers or if the majority of us think it is not safe to use them. Majority opinion is just that, opinion and that doesn't make it accurate.