Super Contributor

Need some k cup advice please

Im about to buy our first keurig but am wondering how you fill a travel coffee mug since they're generally larger than a traditional rug. It seems like it'd only be halfway, what do you do?
Honored Contributor

Re: Need some k cup advice please

I have a Cusinart the takes K cups and has 4 different sizes

@ellabell28 wrote:
Im about to buy our first keurig but am wondering how you fill a travel coffee mug since they're generally larger than a traditional rug. It seems like it'd only be halfway, what do you do?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

They do sell some k-cups that are travel sized & contain more coffee. I guess it depends on how strong you like your coffee. It would be costly to use 2 k-cups for every travel mug. Perhaps order a strong brand like jet fuel & with more water it wouldn't be too weak. I have the "my k-cup" to use my own coffee. This works best for me in my Keurig Vue which has a "strong" setting. This makes my travel size mug just right!

Honored Contributor

I have a large Keurig with 5 sizes and even those don't go high enough to fill my travel mug.... but the bottom of the Keurigs will slide out and leave only a plastic pad.  When I place my mug on that pad, it fits under the drip area.  I usually use regular KCups, fill one totally and then fill a regular coffee cup with another KCup and pour into my travel mug the amount it needs to top it off and toss the rest.

I also own the small version for our motorhome.  My travel mug doesn't fit under that one at all, so I run a regular KCup into a regular coffee mug and transfer the contents to my travel mug.  I do that a second time to top it off and toss the rest.

We just got home today from going to Yellowstone and my Keurig and my travel mug got a good work out.... Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

Ellabell~we did the Kuerig thing, three different times. The machine build up scale like crazy if you have hard water. We were in a coffee club thing and had a fav flavor so delivered routinely. So, every time a machine died despite cleaning religiously, I'd call to cancel the K cups. They would say no problem we will send you a brand new machine! We fell for it twice, plus our original purchase (not here). The third time I called them and got into my old head nurse mode and I told them what was going to happen! We have a regular coffee maker and a French press and we are ok. I miss the conveinance and the hot cocoa at night. But we've had the same coffeemaker for a couple years!

as for your travel mug...I didn't read the responses. But, it's either run through two cups or use the self fill k-cup. You can fill a bit more in there and it might be enough depending on how you like your coffee!

good luck, hope you have a better experience than we did!

Esteemed Contributor

Remove the drip tray to accommodate the taller cup.

As far as the strength of the coffee, just experiment.  It would help if you name the model of your Keurig and how you like your coffee.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

@Gemspirit wrote:

Ellabell~we did the Kuerig thing, three different times. The machine build up scale like crazy if you have hard water. We were in a coffee club thing and had a fav flavor so delivered routinely. So, every time a machine died despite cleaning religiously, I'd call to cancel the K cups. They would say no problem we will send you a brand new machine! We fell for it twice, plus our original purchase (not here). The third time I called them and got into my old head nurse mode and I told them what was going to happen! We have a regular coffee maker and a French press and we are ok. I miss the conveinance and the hot cocoa at night. But we've had the same coffeemaker for a couple years!

as for your travel mug...I didn't read the responses. But, it's either run through two cups or use the self fill k-cup. You can fill a bit more in there and it might be enough depending on how you like your coffee!

good luck, hope you have a better experience than we did!

Ella, we have hard water at work.  I realized that after my plant started dying.  I used bottled distilled water in the Keurig at work after that.

At home, I have no issues.

If you get a PRIME error, that's a different issue.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I should have told you that we've had the same Keurig machine for five years now, clean it every six months with white vinegar, take a needle to clean out the small holes in the area that actually drips the coffee through and have had no problems.  Same with our smaller model which we've actually had in our motorhome ten years (almost right after they came on the market), I do the same thing with that one.  I only use bottled water with both.  Of course the smaller version in the motorhome is only used a few times a year.

I love the brand.... just love it!  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

If you buy a Keurig 2.0 model, they have a "strong" setting. And as others have said, there are now "mug sized", i.e. 12-14 oz K-cups in limited offerings. If you were doing mugs for two people at once you could also use a carafe K-cup, but that would get expensive.

I prefer dark roast coffees and often make 12 oz cups with those. But when I want a 14-16 mug I do use two K-cups

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

I remove the tray, then set a large glass measuring cup where you

would put your mug.  If you have a 2 cup measuring cup ( I have a

Pyrex), you can make 2 cups of coffee, then pour easily into your

travel mug.