Respected Contributor

Nabisco Graham Crackers..had one lately?

Hi everyone....been off the board for awhile but I was making a refrigerator cheese torte with a graham cracker crust.

I bought a box maybe 2 months ago and thought they tasted "different", not the intense flavor or even the hint of honey in the cracker and they were not "crisp" like I remembered.  I thought they must of been at the store too long so when I made the cheese torte I bought a new box.  Same thing, checked the date, plenty of time before the sell by and the same thing.   So never again, another product ruined by the Corporate giants on their cost cutting maneuvers thinking the consumer won't know the difference...I do.

Anyone else, product has changed?

Honored Contributor

Re: Nabisco Graham Crackers..had one lately?

@Just Bling wrote:

Hi everyone....been off the board for awhile but I was making a refrigerator cheese torte with a graham cracker crust.

I bought a box maybe 2 months ago and thought they tasted "different", not the intense flavor or even the hint of honey in the cracker and they were not "crisp" like I remembered.  I thought they must of been at the store too long so when I made the cheese torte I bought a new box.  Same thing, checked the date, plenty of time before the sell by and the same thing.   So never again, another product ruined by the Corporate giants on their cost cutting maneuvers thinking the consumer won't know the difference...I do.

Anyone else, product has changed?

I thought is was me, but yes, I've noticed it too.

I had some that tasted almost chemically, so I threw them out, and the next box while better, did seem not as crisp or flavorful as I remember.

I had been buying off brand graham crackers for quite a few years, and decided to go back to 'the good ones', but I think they have done something to them. Not so good anymore!

Why can't they just leave good things alone. Increase the price, if you have to, and leave it alone.

Super Contributor

I bought a box at the holidays and didn't notice a taste change, but I did notice that the inside contents were much smaller.  I was making a cheese cake and I had used the same recipe for years.  It called for 1.5 packages, or 2 cups.  I put this in the bowl and thought "There is no way that this is 2 cups.  Sure enough, it was less than 1 1/4 cups.  Same size box as always.  We are being cheated. 

Respected Contributor

I'm so tired of these companies cheating the consumer!

Honored Contributor

i have started using teddy grahams in the crusts. they taste good and are a bit crunchier than a traditional graham cracker.

if you dont like traditional graham crackers anymore just try changing it up. pepperidge farm chessmen make a good crust. i have also used biscoff, social tea biscuits, and nilla wafers.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Yes,and they have been like that for quite a while,also sort of stale.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree, you either buy them stale or it gets stale too quickly when opened.  The cracker falls apart and sometimes breakdown into crumbs when you spread peanut butter on them; so fragile.

Honored Contributor

I bought some at Christmas to make a recipe that I hadn't made in a long time.  I didn't like them at all and ended up making something else instead.  I used to love graham crackers.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I agree that most graham crackers do not have the taste we expect; my husband prefers the Kroger brand.  

Valued Contributor

It is more than frustrating to deal with the changes make to products.  You might want to try the Aldi brand of graham crackers.  If you don't like the taste, they will let you return them.

I think that companies have also removed a lot of fat and salt from their products, and that's why some of them taste hideous.  Campbell's Soups, for instance!  I switched to Aldi's brand of soup when I need them.