Honored Contributor

My version of Sweedish (sp?) meatballs

[ Edited ]

My DH asked me to make Sweedish meatballs for dinner and I had no idea how to do so.I found a recipe on the internet for making them in the crockpot so I kinda modified it and I'm trying it today. I did a half & half mix of sausage and beef like I do when I make Italian meatballs. The recipe said all sausage but I am not that fond of sausage so I went with the mix. Put a can of cream of mushroom soup in the crockpot - half a can of beef broth - small can of mushrooms with the liquid - TBSP of dried toasted onion and worchestershire sauce.Mixed the meat with an egg, bread crumbs, salt,pepper,garlic powder - i figure the sausage will also season them. Put them in the crockpot and turned on high - planning to cook 6 hours. Sprinkle liberally with parsley. anyone have anything to add? Suggestions?

Frequent Contributor

Re: My version of Sweedish (sp?) meatballs

My brother used to make the best swedish meatballs and brought them to all famly

potlucks, he made his own sauce from scratch and it always included caraway seeds.

Smiley HappyHeart

Respected Contributor

Sounds yummy! This is also served over egg noodles ( wider, flat noodle).

Respected Contributor

You asked for suggestions. A homemade sauce will be better than using bland  canned soup.  You can google traditional recipes for Swedish meatballs. I spent some time in Sweden, and sometimes ground moose meat was added. A bit wild for my tastes....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@libbyannE wrote:

You asked for suggestions. A homemade sauce will be better than using bland  canned soup.  You can google traditional recipes for Swedish meatballs. I spent some time in Sweden, and sometimes ground moose meat was added. A bit wild for my tastes....

I'm pretty certain that anything cooked with sausage is not going to be bland, as sausuage has a lot of spices in it. They said at the grocery store they were all out of moose meat though but I could probably get venison at the butcher shop.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PinkSparklesOh thanks. That would be very good had I used the all sausage but I don't know with the beef.

Respected Contributor

Our Mormor used to make them with sirloin she ground 3 times, cream,eggs, flour,  grated onion, nutmeg, allspice, salt.

Dropped by spoonfuls into hot fat, when they were  done, gravy was mde by adding flour  to the hot fat, then beef stock and sometimes  little Kitchen Bouquet..

Yum... no sausage was used..sausage generally has sage wich is not used in these..

Esteemed Contributor

Sausages come in many flavors, but are not used in Swedish meatballs.

Frequent Contributor

Regarding the meatballs, I'm pretty sure my brother mostly used the pre-made

frozen kind like you would get at Gordon's etc. 

But it was the sauce that made them great.  Smiley WinkHeart

(Oh thanks. That would be very good had I used the all sausage but I don't know with the beef.)

Trusted Contributor

Used to make these for Christmas, being my Husband was Swedish.  Everyone loved them, had some allspice and had beef and some pork too, 1/8 tsp. ginger,  grated onion also.

I browned mine on the stove, then added flour to pan with some beef broth until it thickened.  I also added currant jelly to the gravy, added a nice touch.  Hard to find though.

Served mine with buttered noodles.  They were delicious.  Enjoy!!